Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wisdom teeth coming out in op. Liquid diet apparently. Anyone been there and able to help with ideas of what to eat?

(29 Posts)
ladyhelen2 Mon 08-Jun-09 11:34:04

DH is having his wisdom teeth out on Friday under a general. He's been told that its a liquid diet for a week. He is already baulking at the idea of soup for a week, so if anyone out there has had similar op, what did you eat afterwards?

Goober Mon 08-Jun-09 11:36:43

Anything you would normally have, blended to pulp. You can add liquid to anything and blend it. Maybe not salad. hmm

Ice cream,
Jelly,
Mashed potato,
Soup.

girlandboy Mon 08-Jun-09 11:36:52

Well, I only had 1 wisdom tooth out and that was under a local.

I didn't eat any differently at all, so maybe your dh is having 4 out?

Mind you, it did bleed for a few days, and I had to sleep propped up as well.

geordieminx Mon 08-Jun-09 11:38:56

Had both of bottom ones out at same time - didnt feel much like eating for a couple of days - the had things like scrambled egg, milkshake and plenty of mashed potato with lots of butter - I was hoping to loose weight... strangley enough I didnt wink

Also - be prepared to be off work for at least a week, and to look like desperate dan for a while - I did blush

Goober Mon 08-Jun-09 11:39:13

My DH had 3 out, he ate normally, got infections in 2 of the sites. Returned to the hospital where they pulled the full length of a noodle out of a hole! He thought it was a worm!

ladyhelen2 Mon 08-Jun-09 11:40:06

He's having two out that are coming in more or less horizonatally.

Reckon he'll like the mash and ice cream idea. Not together obviously.

smurfgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 11:42:03

Nothing too cold or hot so no ice cream sad

I had a lot of mash potato!

My main issue was it was very hard to open my mouth wide so things like soups were difficult to get in. Once stuff was in chewing was not so bad.

Jelly was ok, very very overcooked pasta in sauce, chips and gravy. Um. Not much else tbh. I lost a lot of weight in a week.

GorgonsGin Mon 08-Jun-09 11:42:34

I've had all my wisdom teeth out under a general. I agree that cold soup, sucked through a straw gets really boring!

Scrambled or any form of soft eggs are good, yoghurts, over-boiled/tinned pasta like Heinz macaroni cheese or very squishy risotto. I really like porridge too grin.

The key thing is to avoid anything with "bits" that can get stuck in the (very tender) sockets in the gums, so toast or cereal is a killer. Or anything which means you have to open your mouth too wide (ouch). Chewing is out for the first couple of days, if your DH is anything like me.

IIRC you can't have anything hot for the first 24-48 hours, which includes hot soup or tea and coffee because it encourages bleeding

ladyhelen2 Mon 08-Jun-09 11:42:46

geordie he will not contemplate taking any time off except for Friday which is the day of the op! Do you think he will have a rude awakening?

AIBU in going out on Friday then? First night out to a party that my work are throwing after having a baby 5 weeks ago. Should I arrange a babysitter for DH and the baby??

psychomum5 Mon 08-Jun-09 11:43:29

I had all four out under a general when I was 16..........hurt like hell (and took two weeks to eat normally too, altho I was 16 so a bigger wimp than what I am nowwink).

foods I coul eat.........

noodles in liquid
soups
milky desserts
smoothies
cereal in warm milk, so it was soft and easy to swollow
jelly

as the week went on, fish pie was easy to manage as there was not much chewing needed.

ladyhelen2 Mon 08-Jun-09 11:44:29

These are brill ideas. Risotto, eggs, yoghurts etc. I had only come up with soup and porridge.
Thanks everyone.

ComeOVeneer Mon 08-Jun-09 11:44:51

Take arnica for post op swelling. No strenous exertion for 24hrs (to mimimise increase in BP and therefore re-bleeding). Plenty of salt water rinses to keep sockets clean. NO SMOKING!

Diet wise - it needn't be liquid, just soft as he is going to feel sore and bruised (when taken out under general they tend to be much rougher as the patient is unaware of what they are doing - I have known surgeons to kneel on a patients chest during extractions under GA! shock) and therefore won't want to chew. So smoothies/porridge, other soft cereal/eggs for breakfast. Soup, well cooked pasta, soft mince dishes with mash, flaked fish. He may also find he has limited pening of the jaw to to swelling/bruising so anything solid will need to be of a small size, finely chopped fruit, well cooked veg etc. HTH

smurfgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 11:46:04

I found my wisdom tooth removal very hard, I was in pain and swollen for about 10 days but I had all mine out. I also got an infection which did not help. I was on antibiotics and strong painkillers and I felt vile. I would not have been able to work tbh.

The top ones tend to be easier to get out, its the bottom ones that (usually) cause more swelling and pain because they can be a battle to get out.

ladyhelen2 Mon 08-Jun-09 11:46:18

You lot are great. DH won't be rolling his eyes now at my MN addiction.

Goober Mon 08-Jun-09 11:48:05

Oh, and he'll be eating lots of ibuprofen!

psychomum5 Mon 08-Jun-09 11:49:43

I second what CoV said..........I also learnt after that they had dislocated my jow to get my lower ones out due to impaction<<eek>>

TrillianAstra Mon 08-Jun-09 11:50:06

Tinned rice pudding/tapioca/semolina. Angel delight. Smoothies.

My DH has had two out (and different times, under local) and was eating normally pretty quickly. About 4 hours after the most recent one (infected but not wonky so an 'easy' extraction) he was eating soup and begging me for a bite of my sandwich.

Ewwwwwwwww at noodle in hole Goober!

GorgonsGin Mon 08-Jun-09 11:50:46

I found that any sort of meat was out for at least a week - it required chewing. Delicate fish like lemon sole was lovely when DH made ot for me.

I think your DH may well not be feeling well enough to go to work on Monday. He will probably look like a hamster who's been a victim of a hit and run. I did! DH refused to be seen with me in public in case he was arrested for beating me up grin

BCNS Mon 08-Jun-09 11:52:33

soup.. soup and soup??

Had moine out in the dentist chair.. came home and ate a boiled egg!..blush

geordieminx Mon 08-Jun-09 11:53:16

As COV says he probably wont be able to open his mouth very wide for at least a week or 2.

I found disolvable co-odiomol (sp) a life saver.

Definately organise a babysitter for baby - I had mum here for 4 days to look after ds(18months) while dp was at work.

I would be amazed if he is back at work on monday - they recommend a week off. - I looked like the elephant woman 3 days post op.

steamedtreaclesponge Mon 08-Jun-09 11:53:24

It's probably a bit late for your DH now, but it is generally much better to get wisdom teeth taken out by your dentist under a local anaesthetic than to be knocked out completely. Admittedly, it's probably less pleasant at the time, but the dentist will be careful of your mouth/gums if you are awake.
If you're under a general they can muck up your mouth quite badly, cut up the gums etc, because you're asleep so they can be less cautious.

steamedtreaclesponge Mon 08-Jun-09 11:53:51

Oops, just read ComeOVeneer, sorry for repeat blush

ladyhelen2 Mon 08-Jun-09 12:01:50

steamed sadly for him the angle that the teeth are coming in at mean a local is not a possibility. Reckon they'll be at him like CoV's description.

Don't think I'll be out late on Friday ( the joy of having a5 week old baby so probably home by 10pm!) but will see if one DH's pals can come and assist. Fortunately all his pals now have kids so most are trustworthy around babies!

geordieminx Mon 08-Jun-09 12:03:32

They fractured my jaw when they did mine - also impacted sad

LadyGisborne Mon 08-Jun-09 14:36:44

I lived on spaghetti hoops and scrambled eggs after having my 4 out. Anything you don't have to chew really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now