Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any ideas about what could be wrong with me?

(23 Posts)
geordieminx Sun 07-Jun-09 20:57:48

For the past 2 months I have had period-like cramps every couple of days, bloated-ness(could be too many cakesblush) and occasional brown spotting, more frequent after sex.

I have been the doctors - she took swaps, and has referred me for blood tests and a scan.

I know its probably nothing but I honestly have no idea what could be causing this and am too scared to google. Fear is made worse by friend who went in for pcos and is now having full hysterctomy and treatment for cancer in ovaries/womb and stomach...at 28sad

Any thoughts good or bad would be appreciated, havebr told anyone in RL

cazboldy Sun 07-Jun-09 20:59:14

Oh GM sad sorry to hear this xxxx

do you have a coil?

whomovedmychocolate Sun 07-Jun-09 20:59:36

What contraception are you using?

Sounds like cervical abrasions to me - is not necessarily a problem. But yes it does need investigation as it can be for many causes.

I assume you have children and they came out the regular route? Were you checked in the post partum period for structural damage?

geordieminx Sun 07-Jun-09 21:11:09

Sorry yes - normal coil, ds who's 2 via sunroof wink

oooggs Sun 07-Jun-09 21:19:39

oh gm - I have no idea - and I am a worrier so I know where you are coming from

Whatever it is - it needs to be sorted

whomovedmychocolate Sun 07-Jun-09 21:22:58

Could be coil related then. Chase the referral tomorrow. It's all you can do.

May I ask how old you are - a lot of women experience odd bleeding when peri-menopausal.

walkinthewoods Sun 07-Jun-09 21:25:27

'For the past 2 months I have had period-like cramps every couple of days, bloated-ness(could be too many cakesblush) and occasional brown spotting, more frequent after sex.'

I've had this apart from after sex (however we don;t get to do it that much lol. Had an extended period last cycle and pain in left ovary area.

I've also had a lump under my chin (gland) for even longer. I have just had a blood test, awaiting results, like you am a bit worried. Sorry not advice but on the same band wagon.

cazboldy Sun 07-Jun-09 21:25:36

did the doctor rule out it being anything coil related then?

sounds similar to a friend of mine - and hers had come down too far and was irritating her cervix

geordieminx Sun 07-Jun-09 21:42:35

thanks oooggs.

runnyhabbit Sun 07-Jun-09 22:31:42

How long have you had the coil for? I've had mine in for nearly 2 years, and it's only been the past few months that things have properly settled down.

Other than that, I don't know, sorrysad

(btw, glad you're not googling anything)

geordieminx Mon 08-Jun-09 07:15:19

i've had it in just under 2 years runny.

Ok, so what are cervical abrasions, and how are they fixed?

oneforward20back Mon 08-Jun-09 07:27:19

i'll sit with the worry just failed another smear and they ain't even waiting the normal 6 month call back this time. Shall we all worry together?

walkinthewoods Mon 08-Jun-09 09:52:25

Gulp oneforward, what's the next step? Have you had any other symptoms? (so I can worry too)

oneforward20back Mon 08-Jun-09 10:59:44

Got another one booked in for tomorrow morning. I gues if i fail that it will be back to the gynie dep and more minor surgery. sad.

There is so much else going on this is one thing could have done without.

GoodWitchGlinda Mon 08-Jun-09 11:02:15

I had exactly the same thing. Was very worried about it, as it started with bleeding after sex, then came the pain and bloating... But I saw a gyn and had swabs and a scan, and all came back negative.

Happy to say symptoms subsided and am now back to normal, so I think it must have been a virus or something.

You definitely need this looking into just in case it is something that needs treatment, but I hope you have the same experience as me and it turns out to be nothing. smile

oneforward20back Tue 09-Jun-09 14:13:59

So much for my worry. Some idiot in admin screwed up angry!

walkinthewoods Wed 10-Jun-09 13:27:34

One forward that's good news but very bad of the NHS!!! Still waiting for my blood tests

walkinthewoods Wed 10-Jun-09 13:28:46

Goerdiemix any news?

geordieminx Wed 10-Jun-09 17:24:39

Had bloods yesterday, results on friday, waiting for scan appointment, although I dont expect it this side of christmas wink

oneforward20back Thu 11-Jun-09 22:43:45

If its NHS you'll still be waiting christmas after this wink

walkinthewoods Fri 12-Jun-09 21:09:43

My blood tests have come back all clear but have mad ean appt with gp. Does anayone know, if it shows no sdigns of infection, does this mean you don;t have cancer...know its a bit a bit paranoid etc..

geordieminx Fri 12-Jun-09 21:51:12

Same here - clear bloods and internals, just waiting on appointment for scan now.

eltham Mon 15-Jun-09 09:20:17

I have the same. Bloatedness - I look 6 months pregnant at times, I'm sure. Erratic bleeding, heavy flow. Went to GP, sent me for a scan and tests. They did ovary and womb scan; blood tests and took a sample of endometriol (sp?) cells. All came back clear. The consultant then said that having ruled out the possible nasty scenarios (which I took to mean cancer), they didn't know why women in their 40s had heavy irregular bleeding (I guess it's just not sexy enough for research funding) and that there were a number of ways to treat. So...it doesn't have to imply cancer. I must say, I was worried but I think they're sort of obliged to consider all the worst scenarios first and then to edit those out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now