Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Itchy dry scalp problem- please help i've tried so many things!

(17 Posts)
paddington21 Sun 07-Jun-09 20:30:46

Hi all.

For about a year now i have suffered with an itchy dry scalp that is noticable . I can feel the dry skin on my scalp but it is kind of oily( if that makes any sense) ive tried neugtrogena sensitive scalp. dermax from the doctor. oilatum shampoo. I'm now trying the original source tea tree shampoo- ive heard tea tree is good for getting rid of it.

All the shampoos sort of manage it but can i get rid of it?

Help please!

CarGirl Sun 07-Jun-09 20:34:18

Have you asked for a referral to a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis?

Selsun is good for this type of thing.

Drusilla Sun 07-Jun-09 21:18:39

Head and shoulders is the only thing that doesn't trigger eczema on my scalp

blithedance Sun 07-Jun-09 21:25:01

Are there any styling products you use that might be setting it off - mousses etc? I didn't think I was an allergic kind of person but my scalp improved a lot when I cut down on products (Frizz ease I suspect)

paddington21 Mon 08-Jun-09 21:20:43

thank you for all your replies. head and shoulders dont help for me im afraid and i dont use any styling products.

I will definitely get a referral... its just getting the doctor's appointment now haha

*anyone tried any natural remedies?*

AMumInScotland Mon 08-Jun-09 21:28:56

Have you tried T-gel medicated shampoo? That works for DS whose scalp sounds like what you describe.

KatyMac Mon 08-Jun-09 21:31:08

Nizoral works but it tingles while you are using it

cocolepew Mon 08-Jun-09 21:33:40

It was on the radio about stuff like this, last week. They said that it's likely to be fungal and to get something from your GP, also make sure your wash the nape of your neck well as this is where it usually originates from.

janeite Mon 08-Jun-09 21:33:43

I use T-gel or polytar - both great for the scalp (and smell scrummy) but not so great for the hair (needs lots of conditioner afterwards, so sort of defeats the object).

PuppyMonkey Mon 08-Jun-09 21:36:51

Sounds like scalp psoriasis to me. Have suffered with it for years myself. sad

The doc will give you something abonimable like Polytar liquid, which smells like a hospital waiting room. And the prescription charge is often more than if you just go to shop and biuy something.

T-Gel or Alphosyl from the chemists' will work just as well. You might get immune to it if you use it all the time though, so try and have a rest from it every so often.

Natural remedies don't really work with scalp psoriasis imho. You need coal tar to get rid of it.

19fran76 Mon 08-Jun-09 21:38:20

Polytar is the greatest thing ever for my scalp when dry/itchy.

19fran76 Mon 08-Jun-09 21:40:22

It does stink true but it is the most soothing/effective IMHO , find it better than T-Gel.

janeite Mon 08-Jun-09 21:41:13

Polytar is available in Boots. I don't know how much a prescriotion costs nowadays but a huge bottle is about 8 pounds. I love the smell: I wish it came as a scent!!!

PuppyMonkey Mon 08-Jun-09 21:43:41

shock at people liking the smell of Polytar. My entire family have banned me from using it, they hate it so much.

Although I do like a bit of creosote (sp) myself. grin

19fran76 Mon 08-Jun-09 21:47:32

I think it's the association with the sweet relief it brings grin

pointydog Mon 08-Jun-09 21:51:29

give selsun a go too.

You might need to treat it for a week or so every so often rather than expecting it to go away for good.

Ivykaty44 Mon 08-Jun-09 21:55:07

Try Susan Clark website for natural stuff - her website is easy to google and she is pretty good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now