Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Slightly embarrassing, Reynaud's syndrome in the nipples

(20 Posts)
WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 20:36:55

Don't laugh, it's not funny!

I developed Reynaud's syndrome in my nipples when I was pregnant, although it went away after my dd was born. But now it's back, and it's agony, and the GP reckons there's nothing I can do about it apart from keep warm and keep moving to keep the circulation going.

I would welcome any suggestions from anyone who's suffered with this as to what I can do to relieve the symptoms. It's too warm to wear thick clothes, so it's hard to keep just the one area warm.

Help!!

Blossomhill Mon 09-May-05 20:38:04

Oh sorry wwb no advice but lots of sympathy. Sounds awful, you poor thing xxxxx

Katemum Mon 09-May-05 20:38:40

OK not sure if this is going to be any help but how about a breast pad?

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 20:39:07

It is awful, the pain is excruciating. I thought it had gone for good once dd was born, can't believe it's come back again.

serenity Mon 09-May-05 20:40:06

Big sympathies, I get this in my hands and it bloody hurts.

How about breast pads, as added insulation?

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 20:41:10

Thanks, I hadn't really thought about breast pads, I might have some left from when I was feeding dd that I could try. The big problem is that no matter how warm I get them, they're still bloody sore.

serenity Mon 09-May-05 20:43:56

Also, how about Deep Heat?

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 20:46:23

I'm allergic to Deep Heat!

Katemum Mon 09-May-05 20:54:23

Those heated wheat bags? the ones you bung in the microwave.

serenity Mon 09-May-05 20:57:19

I have to say that last time I used it (on my knee) it got very puffy and the skin turned black, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who can't use the nasty stuff. That doesn't help your poor nips though.

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 20:59:39

No, it's evil stuff is Deep Heat, burns my skin really badly.

The wheat bag is a good idea for when I'm at home, Katemum.

noddyholder Mon 09-May-05 21:03:25

wwb I posted about 4 months ago about a sore nipple (only one)and I never found out what it was it as absolute agony even if I just brushed against it/Everything looked normal but the doctor said this can sometimes come in people who have neck probs and i was having lots of probs with neck and left arm last year It lasted 2 months then came back for 1 week and i haven't had it since Could it be the same?

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 21:05:33

Really, noddyholder? I do have a neck problem, and I also have RSI which travels right up to my neck when it's bad.

How on earth does a bad neck cause agonising nipples?

noddyholder Mon 09-May-05 21:08:29

I don't know I was petrified when I had it because there were no visible signs and I assumed the worst.I have a problem with a disc in my neck caused by the drugs I have taken for my transplant over the years and now and again a trapped nerve causes me agony on the left side and numb tingly fingers The nipple pain was similar and I suppose it culd be linked as it came and went in the same way I tried all pain relief and the hot cushion thingy but nothing really worked

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 21:10:05

Nothing worked when I had it while I was pg either. GP is sure it's Reynauds because the nipple goes white and then purple, although the neck thing is interesting.

noddyholder Mon 09-May-05 21:12:41

Is raynauds an autoimmune condition ?

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 21:16:11

I think it can be caused by auto-immune disorders sometimes

Twiga Mon 09-May-05 21:21:05

Thank goodness it's not just me! Am 23
+5 weeks pg and have the same problem with my nips as you decribed with the whole going white then purple thing. Has developed with pg never had this prob before. Have been in tears on several occasions now it's so flippin sore, current cold, wet Scottish weather not helping. Just find trying to heat up again asap the only thing that works. Will keep an eye on this thread for any tips. Much sympathy WWB!

mrsflowerpot Mon 09-May-05 21:26:50

Oh is THAT what it is? I have had this through both pregnancies really badly, midwife just vaguely said 'it's circulation'. It did go away (mostly) between pregnancies apart from in v cold weather so I'm hoping it will stop again once I've had this baby - it's agony isn't it?

Only things that work for me are a warm bath (front down) and taking my bra off and massaging around to get the circulation going, neither of which are particularly good for when you're out and about. Will watch this with interest to see if anyone has any more suggestions.

BadgerBadger Mon 09-May-05 23:31:01

Maybe an aromatherapist could help? I know there are some good 'heating' oils used in place of eg deep heat.

I don't know how practical it would be, but have you tried the little re-heatable hand warmers you can get? The ones that go in pockets, might be too hot though, just a thought.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: