Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sudden jaw pain and misaligned teeth

(12 Posts)
MadamAnt Sat 06-Jun-09 20:53:53

Last night I yawned and my jaw felt a bit clicky on one side so I wiggled it about a bit. Shortly afterwards it became really painful, but it was late at night so I thought I'd just see how it was after a night's sleep. It felt quite a bit better this morning and has continued to improve all day, BUT my teeth feel misaligned. In fact they even LOOK misaligned! I'm sure I'd have noticed this if it existed before.

My jaw just feel slightly tender now if I open it wide or eat, but the sensation of misalignment is very distracting. Has anyone had this before? Is it worth seeing a doctor or a dentist? Oh, I'm pg by the way, not that that is likely to make any difference!

CarGirl Sat 06-Jun-09 20:55:12

well your ligaments get much softer when you're pregnant.......sounds like it's semi dislocated or something.

Think I would be going to see someone asap.

MadamAnt Sat 06-Jun-09 20:56:26

Monday would be fine, right?

MadamAnt Sat 06-Jun-09 21:02:43

Or perhaps I should try resetting it myself.

Cakesandale Mon 08-Jun-09 14:01:33

Sounds like you have been grinding your teeth, to me!

Yes, I have had this, and it can be quite painful! I saw my dentist, who sent me to the dental hospital, who diagnosed grinding. They will probably make you a mouthshield thingy, that you wear in your mouth when you go to sleep, because there is nothing you can do about it yourself. I rarely wear mine, but it does make a difference.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

MadamAnt Mon 08-Jun-09 14:42:55

Well it seems to have corrected itself!

It felt like my teeth gradually realigned themself over the weekend. Pretty weird, but all better now.

MaggieBee Mon 08-Jun-09 16:30:52

I got a shock recently when I stood in front of a mirror and opened my mouth as wide as I could. It opens to one side. LIke a horses. Quite disconcerting, and I'd never noticed it.

I'm getting a mouth guard for night to try and stop me grinding at night, although I'm not aware of it. THe dentist is convinced I'm doing it though.

MaggieBee Mon 08-Jun-09 16:32:29

ps what made me stand in front of the mirror opening and closing my mouth was that my jaw ached if I opened my mouth too wide. for a few days I could hardly get food in!!!!!

It is getting better now, but my jaw still feels a bit sensitive. weird.

MadamAnt Mon 08-Jun-09 16:32:39

LOL at like a horses grin

MaggieBee Mon 08-Jun-09 16:34:52

I was depressed when I realised it!! I must be grinding imaginary carrots and apples at night.

slummymummy36 Mon 15-Jun-09 19:18:40

I have had this for about a month. Pretty much exactly as you describe - felt painful before bed. Got up in the morning to misaligned jaw (clashing teeth) and less pain. By the next day the pain was gone completely but the teeth remain to this day misaligned.

On day 3 I saw my dentist who made me a mouth guard which I got a week later. He also prescribed very low dose (2mg) of Diazpam to relax the jaw muscles as he sai my jaw muscle was in a spasm knot. He said it was brought on by unconciously teeth grinding in my sleep, prolly caused by stress. TBH - when all this happend I was extremely stressed.

AM about to call my dentist again this week to say that despite wearing the guard every night and a few hours in the day, my teeth remain misaligned and its uncomfy. I clash my teeth when I eat and crunchy food and salads are hard work to eat!

WOuld love to know if anyone else has had this for a longer period of time and how long (if ever) it took your teeth/jaw to realigne!

Cakesandale Thu 18-Jun-09 09:34:14

Slummy, mine kind of realigned itself pretty quickly, though I still grind to this day. Haven't knocked jaw out for quite a while though.

Something clearly needs to click back into place and can't do it for itself. Agree you really need to get help to get this done. If dentist can't/doesn't help, might one of those cranial osteopathy guys give it a go? Not sure, but could look into it.

Sorry! Hope it goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now