Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you buy those little sticks that check for cystitis over the internet (or even in Boots)?

(6 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 06-Jun-09 07:02:10

I seem to get it all the time atm

The DR & I have a deal whereby when I get it I take a sample in to be tested.....but I start the antibiotics anyway

Of course today I woke up with cystitis & I can't get a smaple in until Monday

It's too late this time but I did wonder if I could buy those little sticks & wee on them to check for myself (as I hate taking ABs un-necessarily)

Thandeka Sat 06-Jun-09 07:42:24

I wrote a lovely long reply to this and mumsnet ate it. Grrr

http://www.stressnomore.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=S9202&gclid=CJ2kiuD_9JoCFQaF3godf0X-eQ

But aren't going to do you any good as reason docs test urine is not only the basic is there blood in the urine (which can be caused by other things apart from infection) but also the type of bacteria causing the infection so they can check if there is no resistance.

If drinking loads of water and cystocalm won't shift it then take the AB's as it is most likely to be an infection that is too strong to be shifted by the basics.

BTW have you been scanned for how well your bladder fills and empties etc? More than 6 cases of cystitis a year should be investigated further (I speak as someone who constantly had it and had all the scans etc- seems to have been sex but also stress that exacerbated mine rather than anything medical)

Hope you feel better soon- there is nothing worse! At least you have AB's at home (I do too) but before then I would end up at emerengy clinics many a weekend crying for antibiotics!

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 06-Jun-09 08:51:13

Poor you. I have the same and our doctors have a scheme where you the local pharmacist can give prescriptions for antibiotics for cystitis. Does yours have anything like this? Alternatively, I'd call the out of hours GP (last time I did this they just faxed a prescription to my local pharmacist for me to pick up) - 48 hours with cystitis before you can get treatment is miserable.

KatyMac Sat 06-Jun-09 10:53:22

Sorry I went back to bed

I've had about 8 times this year (4 lots of ABs) my bladder has had lots of previous testing because I have a TVT repair

Thanks for your support I really am feeling miserable with the shakes/shivering/Hot&cold/back ache

So glad I don't have to wait until Monday to get it sorted (having the abs at home)- but worried (slightly) about GP not getting sample

Stress hmm Oh I never do that wink

Thandeka Sat 06-Jun-09 11:09:40

Have you got a sample pot at home?

Wee in it and if its sealed and kept cool (perhaps not the fridge though!) I think it will still be fine.

KatyMac Sat 06-Jun-09 11:12:34

Nah They won't even test it if I bring it after lunch (as their pick up is at 12:30)

so 2 days later will be no good

Those tests are so expensive shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now