Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd2 poo is black.

(12 Posts)
misdee Mon 09-May-05 12:54:13

should i be worried?

Enid Mon 09-May-05 12:55:05

how old? is she taking iron supplements?

kcemum Mon 09-May-05 12:55:59

How old is she? is she on any iron supplements or any medication?

hermykne Mon 09-May-05 12:57:19

does she have alot of milk?

misdee Mon 09-May-05 12:59:05

she wont touch milk, except in her cereal. noy on iron supplements. not sure what she had to eat yesterday at grandmas tho. she is 2.5yrs old

Twiglett Mon 09-May-05 13:00:10

did grandma give her licquorice by any chance??

Twiglett Mon 09-May-05 13:01:18

if she doesn't seem poorly I wouldn't worry unduly misdee

faeces are the body's way of excreting stuff they don't need, so presumably its something she ate at grandma's house

Tissy Mon 09-May-05 13:07:15

if she ate spinach or something like that at her gran's house, you probably have the answer, but if not, then it would be worth your doctor checking a sample for blood. Poos can turn black if the gut is digesting blood, which could be a sign of internal bleeding, or for example, swallowed blood from a nosebleed.However if she is otherwise ok, then internal bleeding wouldn't be excessive.

Don't want to worry you unduly; why not ring her grandma and ask what she ate?

bee3 Mon 09-May-05 13:07:32

My ds has blackish poos after eating lots of blueberries and blackberries.... I'd check what he ate yesterday as it could well be that.

misdee Mon 09-May-05 13:09:46

she had a lot of ribena the last few days, would that have caused it?

Twiglett Mon 09-May-05 13:10:47

probably

kcemum Mon 09-May-05 13:12:30

not sure whether that would cause black poo. How about stopping her drinking it and seeing if the poo returns to normal colour? If it doesn't and youv've ruled out everything else suggested then maybe visit your GP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now