Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you haven't had meales/mumps will you be having the MMR ?

(9 Posts)
IcantbelieveImForty Fri 05-Jun-09 11:01:01

This is for adults & not children.

My MIL is in her 60's & hasn't had measles, so I'm thinking there are probably many adults out there that aren't protected.

Is measles more dangerous (like chicken pox) the older you are ?

Is the government going to target them ?

Should my MIL get jabbed ?

crokky Fri 05-Jun-09 11:08:59

If I was your MIL, I'd probably get a measles vaccine (single) privately.

MIL has probably had a rubella jab so MMR would be doubling up.

Is mumps actually going to harm her?

IcantbelieveImForty Fri 05-Jun-09 11:11:00

I don't know - I'm not sure whether she's had it.

psychomum5 Fri 05-Jun-09 11:12:05

are they recommending that adults have it then (the MMR that is)???

bran Fri 05-Jun-09 11:12:46

Is it only for men that mumps is very bad as an adult? I haven't had it so I might be tempted by an mmr.

IcantbelieveImForty Fri 05-Jun-09 11:31:20

I don't know if they are recommending it - my point is that anyone can catch it, so surely it would make sense to for adults to be aware ?

psychomum5 Fri 05-Jun-09 11:36:51

that is very true, but then, most adult of that age would have most likely come into contact with it and built up immunity even if they haven;t had it.

that is not foolproof, they said that to me when I was pregnant and DD2 had chicken pox, yet I knew I had never had it. bloods confirmed it, plus also confirmed my lack of immunity, so like I say, being an adult is no guarantee of built-up immunity.

I would guess tho, that should there be an epidemic, any one who knows they have never had it, and so believe themselves at risk, could always ask about having it confirmed through blood tests and then be immunised if needs be.

don;t forget, they probably don;t have enough vaccines to also start on adults unless in dire need. especially at the moment when they are making tonnes of swine-flu vaccineswink.

Seona1973 Fri 05-Jun-09 19:55:44

my brother had mumps at the age of 23 and has been left deaf in one ear by it.

notcitrus Fri 05-Jun-09 20:03:32

I had MMR a few months ago as there's measles round here and my pfb was 3 months, and I wanted to get some antibodies into him via bf if possible. GP agreed + said ask nurse if test needed first.

They recently decided not to bother doing blood tests first as it's easier just to do the jab. No ill effects.

There;s loads of MMR vaccine available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now