Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Question from a new hayfever sufferer...

(8 Posts)
Numberfour Thu 04-Jun-09 20:55:26

I started hayfever a few years ago. I have the usual itchy eyes, nose, face, palate, itchy itchy!

But i also sometimes get a cough and sore throat - is this hayfever, too? I certainly don't have a cold , but have an irritating cough.

i used to be a lot less tolerant of hayfever sufferers, but now i certainly have a new found understanding...... sad

foofi Thu 04-Jun-09 20:56:40

sore throat - yes definitely. Sorry you are suffering!

Numberfour Thu 04-Jun-09 20:58:59

thanks, foofi. my sister gets it very badly and i was so dismissive of it - but no more that's for sure.

welshmoomin Fri 05-Jun-09 09:41:03

Am also a hayfever sufferer and get the worst (cross your legs coz you think you're going to pee) kind of cough at certain times of the year too. Still not found a cure but found that certain types of grass make it even worse (for me, it's long sea grass) so I try to avoid it for about a month when it's at it's peak. Think it is all allergy related. If I get it the same this year, I'm going to see GP. Will be watching this thread like a hawk in the hope that someone can help us.
Good luck.

poshwellies Fri 05-Jun-09 10:22:22

It is better to start taking your antihistamines before you start with hayfever symptoms (there are nasal sprays that can be taken before the dreaded sneezes hit)

Timothy grass is a killer for me as is tree pollen.

I find a combination of antihistamine pill,nasal spray and eye drops makes life a little easier,but I haven't found anything to get rid of the itchy palate angry.

There are alternative options out there ,such as a barrier that goes under and around your nostrils and claims to stop pollen from being inhaled and obviously homeopathic meds such as New Era tissue salts.Some people take local honey.

spicemonster Fri 05-Jun-09 10:25:54

My friend has just got some of that balm you smear round your nostrils and swears it helps. It's called Haymax I think. It traps the pollen so should cut down on itchy throats and all the other effects (although presumably won't help with runny eyes).

I take piriton first thing every morning with my tea before I leave the house. I am working from home today and have the door shut because it's cold and I've hardly sneezed at all.

poshwellies Fri 05-Jun-09 10:36:08

Horrid isn't it Spice?

I have suffered with hayfever from day dot and it does tire you out,I don't people understand how bloody awful it is to live with,had years where I've been almost housebound in the summer.

Sadly, my ds(6) is now showing signs of being a sufferer too.

glitterchick Fri 05-Jun-09 18:33:39

I have always had hayfever - ALWAYS! Luckily it has rained for the last 2 summers so havent been too bothered but with all the good weather it's safe to say I'm 'dying'. Yes - it is normal to have sore throat, cough and all the other crap that goes along with it. I take clariton as I found pirotin makes me drowsy (spent one summer practically comatosed). I often have to take 2 a day or I'll die of snot overdose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now