Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Laser or lletz?

(4 Posts)
st09 Thu 04-Jun-09 17:47:41

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me and give a little advice. I have been diagnised with CIN2 and following colposocopy I have been told I will need to be treated. I am really worried about the type of treatment I should have. I was offered lletz but know that the hospital can also offer me laser. I have been told that laser is more accurate and the chance of pre term labour is reduced, is this correct? I know the advantage of lletz is that they send the removed area to be tested. Any help anyone could give would be great as I'm really worried and confused as to which treatment I should choose.

Claire236 Thu 04-Jun-09 18:47:23

I had LLETZ & from what was explained to me & what I've read the advantage it has over lasering is that it removes the cells cleanly meaning they can analyse the removed area to check there are normal cells round the edge so they know all the abnormal ones have been removed. I believe the risks during pregnancy are increased but still extremely small.

BellaNoir Thu 04-Jun-09 22:55:59

With the laser treatment are they offering you ablative therapy or using it to excise the affected area?
The colposcopists' society have a website www.bsccp.org.uk which has some patient info about different types of treatment. It might be worth chatting with your GP.
Claire236 is correct that removing the affected area means it can be sent to histology for checking the diagnosis and there are clear margins.

st09 Sun 07-Jun-09 15:01:22

Thanks for your help. I believe its ablative therapy that they are offering, where the abnormal cells are destroyed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now