Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

has anyone had the gastric band fitted?

(6 Posts)
epimum Thu 04-Jun-09 13:38:38

hello, im relativly new to mumsnet and abit nervous asking this!
im seriously thinking of having a gastric band fitted and wanted to hear from other people who have had it done, how has it affected you? has it worked? and was it worth it?
i have a serious food addiction that for years i've been struggling with, now my health is being affected and im lacking so much in energy that even playing with the dc's sometimes is a big effort, dr has upped my thyroid tablets and thats not really done much, the gastric band seems like the only hope to help me gain control in my life, and help me break this horrible cycle sad

Pacific Thu 04-Jun-09 13:51:43

Epimum, I hope you are still on line. I am an occasional poster but come on MN most days.

I had a band fitted last September and have lost 5 stones. I have not had any major problems with it. You learn to live with it and what foods to eat.

There is a good website called UKGastricband.co.uk where there are lots of us 'bandits' chatting about our experiences. I am called 'Pacific' on there too and you cam email me from that site but I am happy to answer questons on here too.

smile

epimum Thu 04-Jun-09 14:08:55

thankyou pacific i really appreciate it, well done for loosing 5 stones will look at that website thanyou

Pacific Thu 04-Jun-09 14:25:28

I had tried every diet in the world, Weight watchers, Slimming world, Lighter life etc. and had lost huge amounts of weight on these diets but the minute I came off the diet, all the weight would go back on frighteningly quickly and leave me heavier than I was before. I found out about band surgery and ended up having it done privately although it is available on the NHS in my area.

I had the op, then drove 250 miles home the next day, and was back at my very physical job two weeks after the op. So recovery was really easy. The weight loss started sraight away but has not been consistent. I lose 4lbs in a week then lose nothing for a fortnight so it does get frustrating sometimes. I have had 4 band fills so far but do not intend to have any more.

I can eat anything I like but only in tiny amounts. ie two squares of chocolate instead of the whole bar. I struggle a bit with fresh fruit and veg....have to eat it really slowly. I cannot take fizzy drinks at all.

I had a setback in January when I had a bad car accident which affected by band but it recovered with no damage.

I have not looked back. I am now starting to get into size 16s (woo hoo!) and feel great!

Go for it

epimum Thu 04-Jun-09 14:44:33

i think i might go for it smile
i feel really inspired by your story pacific thankyou, i am going to get it done privatly have you got any advice on where to start and what to look for in a clinic, how do i know if there o.k or not?

Pacific Thu 04-Jun-09 22:14:23

Had to go to work, epimum. Home now.

There are a few routes to follow privately. If you go on the website I mentioned above, there is lots of info about it. Like everything else, you get what you pay for. I went with The Hospital Group. I have absolutely no complaints about them but some people complain about them.

I would look at going to Belgium if I were you. I have been paying by the consultation for my aftercare to one of the Belgian surgeons. Again, I am perfectly happy with the care I have received.

HTH smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now