Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

treating head lice when pregnant

(8 Posts)
Shimmer Thu 04-Jun-09 09:18:49

Ok I'm guessing this has been discussed before.... but here it is again...
I'm pg and my DS has managed to pass on his nits to me. Grrrrr... what's the best way to get rid of them???

Has anyone ever tried NOT NICE TO LICE?? - www.naturallydoesit.co.uk/shop/

mankyscotslass Thu 04-Jun-09 09:20:35

I think Hedrin is ok, but TBH I would just use conditioner and the Nitty Gritty comb. Tedious but effective.

<bitter experience>

Weegiemum Thu 04-Jun-09 09:20:57

I would seriously condition and comb. And comb. And get dh to comb! Get a nitty gritty comb. Pur loads of conditioner on your hair and leave overnight, then comb out dead lice in the morning. Tea tree is good.

Now I am itching!!!

FanjolinaJolie Thu 04-Jun-09 18:27:13

Hedrin is safe for use in pregnancy.

Have to use it again a week later, and keep wet combing with loads of conditioner in between.

Hope they go rapid-stylee

<scratches>

rosiejoy Fri 05-Jun-09 19:03:20

sounds strange, but mayonaise!

i cant remember where i heard it, but definitely works. i did it when i was pregnant. cover your whole scalp, leave for 20 mins then comb out with a proper nit comb (preventative rather than just detection eg. nitty gritty comb). i did it on a hot summers day and the mayonaise melted and all the oil rolled down my neck, gross! be warned it is messy, but really did work!

dinkystinky Fri 05-Jun-09 19:11:05

Get a nitty gritty comb and use it with conditioner. Nits hate the smell of tea tree oil so you could try the vosene shampoo which has it in too.

OmicronPersei8 Fri 05-Jun-09 19:36:13

As well as the above suggestions I'd say use the nit comb every day for two weeks - it breaks the whole egg-laying cycle.

ChiefCookAndBottleWash Fri 12-Jun-09 08:11:24

YES! Discovered this about 10 years ago. Absolutely brilliant product (don't know WHY anyone bothers with the ghastly alternatives)! I can't personally vouch for the pregnancy safety side (but they overtly advertise that it is). I can certainly vouch for it's effectiveness. My daughter (now 16) has waist long corkscrew curls, so you can imagine what a nightmare that was, when the blighters hit! 'Not Nice to Lice' is easy to use, pleasant and best of all, can be used as a PREVENTATIVE if you suspect they're out and about! Lice can't become resistant because of the unique way this works. Just use as a normal shampoo over about a 3 week period, and problem's gone! The bottle may look like a pricier option, but lasts for ages (even now my kids are teenagers, so much less of an issue) I wouldn't be without a bottle in the bathroom cupboard. What beats me is why it isn't market leader!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now