Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pins and needles in my hands and feel juddery and generally odd... Hormones ?

(15 Posts)
WorzselMummage Wed 03-Jun-09 16:52:35

<<hypochondriac>>

Since last friday i've had a strange sensation in both my hands and forearms, it's almost like numb tingling, very strange. My arms feel heavy and i've been clumsy and have had to try harder to do things.

I am going to make a Drs appointment but it just occured to me that all this is coinciding with my first proper period after having DS which has been horrid and super heavy, the heaviest i have ever had, Maybe down to a new copper coil. I'm still BF DS, not getting much sleep and am co sleeping so the sleep i do get isn't very comfortable.

Can hormones affect things like that ? I have never had anything like it before and tbh i've got all kinds of terrifying scenarios playing though my mind about what it could be caused by, I am a complete hyperchodriac.

Anyone else had anything like this ?

I'm to scared to Google.

Milliways Wed 03-Jun-09 16:56:49

Go to your GP.

I had a blood test today as I am having nerve pain in my calf (and now occassionally in one arm and finger) and he said it could be down to Perncicious anaemia - which is a B12 deficiency easily rectified with B12 injections. (Could be diabetes but I have NO other symptoms!).

Otherwise a simple trapped nerve can cause nerve tingling as well - like sciatica.

A blood test will soon give some answers, so make an appt

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 03-Jun-09 16:57:21

I've had this. I've been seeing a neurologist and a chiropractor. The chiropractor was much more helpful to be honest. Maybe you have a little stiffness in your spine that's messing about with your nerves???

Don't google. I did that, it goes from one extreme to another.

WorzselMummage Wed 03-Jun-09 17:04:14

Milliways I had wondered about Anemia ( along with MS and Brain Tumours hmm) But i feel otherwise ok, not massivly tired or anything.

FBGB, I am usually a google queen but i just dare not look this time. It could well be my back, I am sleeping in some strange positions at the moment thats for sure

Milliways Wed 03-Jun-09 17:07:58

I too have been "Googling" and one site that is helpful about aneamia is here as people talk about symptoms etc.

But no point guessing as could spend ages researching one thing to find it was something else!

WorzselMummage Wed 03-Jun-09 17:12:57

Thanks for the like Milli

WorzselMummage Wed 03-Jun-09 17:15:19

LINK even..

anonandlikeit Wed 03-Jun-09 18:15:48

I had this when feeding ds1, it was because i was constantly looking down at my fat lovely bay whilst bf, it put a strain on my neck & shoulders & resulted in pins & needles
in my hands & lower arms.
Get it checked out just to be sure & don't forget anxiety & worrying about it will make the symptoms worse, its just the way the mind works.

anonandlikeit Wed 03-Jun-09 18:16:16

baby not bay!

Milliways Tue 09-Jun-09 17:39:35

Did you go to the GP Worzel?

I haver a neurology referral now - Pins & needles spreading in left arm as well as leg & face.

WorzselMummage Sun 14-Jun-09 08:52:37

Hiya Miliways,

I did go to the Gp, she sent me of for loads of bloods which i've not had the result of yet. I feel worse now than i did before, Dr seemedv the think it is some kind of Anemia. I'm worried sick about it tbh, my whole body feels wrong.

Sorry to hear yours is worsening too, it's scary isn't it.

stealthsquiggle Sun 14-Jun-09 09:13:45

Anemia definitely a possibility. Also, I have heard those symptoms associated with calcium deficiency? DB's GF has been prescribed "eating cheese and sitting in the sun" grin I hope your blood tests come back with a (not too scary) answer for you.

WorzselMummage Sun 14-Jun-09 10:56:49

I think my diets quite good so i doubt it's anything like that.

We have had a super stressfull year, i've wondered if it's the fallout from that.

Worzsel Tue 16-Jun-09 13:20:22

Miliways, how are you doing now ?

I had the results of my bloods and they were all normal.

I am working myself up in to a rigth tizz about it now.. MS is top of my list, then brain tumour then every cancer i have ever heard of.

Odd feeling hands are still there And other tingles elsewhere, still don't feel right.

Df thinks it's anxiety... i am certainly anxious, it's all i can think about

Milliways Tue 16-Jun-09 18:12:42

I'm OK, it comes and goes. Just waiting for Neurology appt in July as at least bloods were clear. Hoping it is a trapped nerve or something that can be sorted.

If it is an anaemia you have, it is treatable. Worst case is monthly injections but loads of people have these and live a normal life. The more you think about things, the more things you notice!

Hope all turns OK for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now