Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scared of the dentist, going tomorrrow

(5 Posts)
weenawoo Wed 03-Jun-09 13:53:38

I'm sure this has been done before. I'm going to the dentist for the first time in about a decade tomorrow and am terrified! Teeth don't hurt but look awful, 1 year old dd will be with me and don't want my wimpy behaviour to put her off - anyone got anything reassuring to say, haven't been able to sleep for a couple of nights just thinking about it. DH is completely unsympathetic!

chocolatefudgebrownie Wed 03-Jun-09 17:47:28

try this website - brilliant for phobics, they have a very supportive forum too.

www.dentalfearcentral.org

Good luck, you are not alone in your fear. I am terrified too.

weenawoo Wed 03-Jun-09 19:43:25

Thank you - feel a little pathetic about the whole thing, can't even pin point what's so scary about it!

LilianGish Wed 03-Jun-09 20:01:53

You're not pathetic - lots of people have phobia about dentists and of those that don't not many look forward to going. Well done for making an appointment though - I think when you face your fear it's rarely as bad as you expect. I'd also put off going to the dentist for several years, but bit the bullet recently and made appointment. The dentist was lovely - I had to have a bit of work done, but even that wasn't as bad as I was expecting and I feel so pleased that I've got it all over with. I actually used to wake in the night worrying about the fact I hadn't been so I really sympathise with you on that one. Tell the dentist how you feel and I'm sure he'll be reassuring. Mine had a lovely dental nurse who actually stroked my arm when I was having a filling!

weenawoo Wed 03-Jun-09 20:09:27

Thanks LilianGish, am comforting myself with the thought that it will all be over tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now