Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Asthma families: pulse oximeters

(5 Posts)
Ameriscot2005 Sun 08-May-05 19:41:45

The discussions on asthma in toddlers has made me wonder - does anyone think that it is a good idea to buy a pulse oximeter?

We've been to hospital 6 or 7 times now with DD and each time the doctors have said that I should have come in earlier, basically based on her SATs, whereas I've judged more on her breathing and reaction to her reliever inhaler.

I was thinking that if I had a pulse oximeter, I could monitor her SATs at home as soon as she developed a wheeze and I'm sure I would go to hospital as soon as they dropped below 94 or 95% (rather than the 85% we actually get on arrival).

Anyone have any views - positive or negative? I think I can get a portable one from the USA for about £100.

Podmog Sun 08-May-05 19:46:59

Message withdrawn

nutcracker Sun 08-May-05 19:48:41

Sounds like a good idea. We were considering buying a nebulizer machine when dd was really bad too.

Donbean Sun 08-May-05 19:54:09

They are a good idea and if they put your mind at rest by giving you and inicator as to when you should proceed to hospital then they are worth every penny.
However they are only as good as the user (as with any thing) and can give false readings for a million reasons causing further anxiety.
My view is to get your head around them, get very good at troubleshooting them.
Also be aware that drops in sats readings can be transient and can pick up quickly.
I think that your comments on actually observing your child are absolutely crucial. Watching the breathing can give far far more information than any piece of equipment. Also you know what is normal and what is not for your child. And it goes without saying that your own gut instinct is the best rule of thumb in these situations.

Ameriscot2005 Sun 08-May-05 20:55:53

Good points, Donbean.

I think, on balance, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks (and I am generally anti home devices, such as fetal doppler machines for the reasons you mentioned). I'm pretty sure that I will react sooner to DD's needs with this machine, and I don't mind showing up at A&E too early (given our history, that's not likely to happen).

I've ordered one from Ebay and it will be delivered to FIL's house in the USA in the next couple of days - DH is visiting at the weekend. Gotta make these decisions fast before I change my mind

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now