Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

i blacked out and fell down the stairs

(177 Posts)
Titania Sun 08-May-05 18:53:54

i bumped my head play fighting with DH about 2pm, then passed out when i tried to get up. I tried to take myself down the stairs only i blacked out again and fell down the stairs. I was out for about 20 minutes according to DH and dd was crying cos she thought I had died. I fell asleep as well and was really cold. I jarred my back and bumped my head again and twisted my ankle. Someone said I could have concussion. I fell asleep afterwards too. I feel bruised, shaky and sick now. Am just looking on MHS website about blackout and am now very scared. Its happened a few times in the past few weeks without having panic attacks.

Great anniversary im having!

pixiefish Sun 08-May-05 18:55:51

Think you should try to get to A and E Titania. Or at the very least I think you should phone your doctor's out of hours service to ask their advice.

Hope you feel better soon

Titania Sun 08-May-05 18:56:45

OMG.......

Sudden loss of consciousness may however, be caused by many conditions other than simple faints. These include:

Epilepsy
Spasm of some of the arteries supplying the brain
Heart irregularities
Heart block
Panic attacks
Over-breathing (hyperventilation) effects
Water on the brain (Hydrocephalus)
Visual loss from brain tumours
Visual loss from high blood pressure
Bleeding within the skull
Transient iscahemic attack (TIA) or 'mini-stroke.

anon99 Sun 08-May-05 18:58:41

here

Titania Sun 08-May-05 19:00:00

thanks anon but dont need that atm. honestly

almostanangel Sun 08-May-05 19:01:56

[[[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]]]] go get checked hunny

pixiefish Sun 08-May-05 19:02:31

if you're anything like me you'll imagine all sorts. It's probably none of those things you've listed Titania and all you'll do is worry yourself uneccessarily

The best thing to do is phone either your doctor or NHS direct-

Lonelymum Sun 08-May-05 19:04:03

Gosh Titania, that is not what you want to do! Probably the bang on the head was the cause of the blackout, but you should get it checked out this evening.

Titania Sun 08-May-05 20:18:19

i will call in at the doctors tomorrow when i have dropped the kids off at school....providing i can walk there that is

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:20:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aimsmum Sun 08-May-05 20:26:20

Message withdrawn

anorak Sun 08-May-05 20:32:30

titania go to A & E tonight.

popsycal Sun 08-May-05 20:35:46

i agree with anorak

PuffTheMagicDragon Sun 08-May-05 20:40:43

Titania, you absolutely cannot ignore blacking out for 20 minutes and leave it until tomorrow to see a doctor - my dh would have rung an ambulance if he was unable to rouse me after 5 minutes. Plus you say this has been happening before - this is not something to be ignored.

rickman Sun 08-May-05 20:40:55

Message withdrawn

sallystrawberry Sun 08-May-05 20:41:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rickman Sun 08-May-05 20:42:02

Message withdrawn

aloha Sun 08-May-05 20:43:48

If this is accurate then you must go to A&E. It is not normal to be unconscious for 20 minutes.
My dh would have called an ambulance too.

Aimsmum Sun 08-May-05 20:44:44

Message withdrawn

rickman Sun 08-May-05 21:50:39

Message withdrawn

SPARKLER1 Sun 08-May-05 22:00:09

Are you okay Titania? I thought it odd that you were out for that long and an ambulance wasn't called.

Titania Mon 09-May-05 08:43:42

Hello. I am feeling very stiff and achy this morning. I spoke to DH and asked him why he hadn't called an ambulance. He said that the last time I collapsed and an ambulance was called I went hysterical and refused to go to hospital, and he didn't want to put me through that again. I have a severe phobia of hospitals as it is but I was upset that he didn't at least try.... He did call his mother who said to chuck a glass of water over me! charming!

The doctors opens at 9. I will ring them then.

fastasleep Mon 09-May-05 08:50:37

Did the black-outs start with a change of medication? It could be something to do with that, and you should get your thyroid and your iron levels checked and also your blood pressure... I bet it's not one of the scary things on the list xxxx hope you're doctor's good to you! Make sure you see one asap! I black-out every now and then, usually not for very long, sometimes for 10 minutes plus though... it's because my blood pressure is low and I always need to keep an eye on my iron intake..

anorak Mon 09-May-05 08:52:05

Please keep us posted Titania.

Titania Mon 09-May-05 08:52:18

no. no change of medication.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now