Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ds is 5. he has temp of 102

(25 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Tue 02-Jun-09 15:16:11

I don't think he has ever had a temp before. certainly not one this high. i've collected him from school early. he is pretty listless watching tv (an occasional giggle is reassuring me). doing calpol and sips of iced water.

what else should i do. he has complained of tummy pains last night and nausea today. no vom. no runs.

i know i sound really thick but advice please?

wrinklytum Tue 02-Jun-09 15:23:35

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.What is 102 in celcius (Thicko emoticon).If temperature is 40+ then keep a close eye.Push fluids.You can give paed nurofen as well as paracetomol based stuff to reduce temp.Is he weeing plenty?If his urine becomes very dark this can indicate dehydration.Remove clothes to cool him off.If you have a fan you could put this on.Recheck temp half an hour after giving antipyretics to check if reducing.If temperature consistently rising/he becomes more listless and unwell contact nhs direct or GP/a+E.i TAKE IT HE HAS NO RASH OR ANYTHING?

Heathcliffscathy Tue 02-Jun-09 15:28:08

it's come down a bit now hovering around 38.5 was 39+

no rash (bit of heat eczema behind one knee.

he won't take his short sleeved school shirt and shorts off. should i insist?

thanks wrinkly

fishie Tue 02-Jun-09 15:28:57

definitely ibuprofen, i have never found calpol any good with temperatures.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 02-Jun-09 15:30:03

ok next dose will be junior nurofen

wrinklytum Tue 02-Jun-09 15:31:29

Aww bless him,if he is well enough to argue the toss then prob not worth it wink

fishie Tue 02-Jun-09 15:33:33

you can just give it now, can combine with paracetamol no probs.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 02-Jun-09 17:19:45

temp spiking again...103 now. panic? or just wait and see. he is very listless, but protesting that doesn't want to go to bed so not floppy or anything.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 02-Jun-09 17:36:43

Message withdrawn

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 02-Jun-09 17:40:56

Do try to keep the temp down as 105 is when they can convulse which is really not nice - give nurofen and calpol doubled up and take off all clothes, run a fan if you have one not directly on him. It is horrid wehn they get this high sad

Heathcliffscathy Tue 02-Jun-09 19:16:01

earlier i made him a strawberry crush (icecubes, strawbs and icing sugar) and he had it all. i gave him some nurofen and he complained it tasted disgusting and cried and then puked the whole lot up.

i don't know if it was the sugar or the ibuprofen on a fairly empty stomach (which is a reaction i've been known to have).

i'm going to try clear stock with some pasta stars in it now as he says he is hungry.

temp is still hovering around 103 mark.

wahwahwah Tue 02-Jun-09 19:23:17

Keep fluid levels up
Bathe hands and feet with cold water on a flannel
strip down to pants and vest
keep cool
Make some lollies

remember that it is a hot as hell at the moment

If small kids run a high temp over a long time, it may cause fits in some (doctor cousin told me this and it happened to him when he was small and left him with a stutter). Try to get some calpol into them (works a treat if bribed with a lollypop).

Poppity Tue 02-Jun-09 19:45:44

Is that temperature after calpol? If not what is/was his temp half an hour after giving calpol? Is it an oral thermometer? Others can read a bit lower than actual temp in children.

I am a paramedic, and we would take any child with a temp over 38 degrees in to hospital.

It's important to give calpol and nurofen aswell if possible when the temp is up as much as his, it's ok to not give it with just a bit of a temp, but his is pretty high tbh.

Keep cooling him in other ways too, take his clothes off, put a fan on him, a cool damp flannel on his brow etc.

I am probably a bit more stringent than others because of my job, but if it was my child, I would be visiting to out of hours GP. I'm sure he's fine, but if calpol etc isn't managing his temp, and it stays near 40 dgrees, he may need antibiotics.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 02-Jun-09 20:23:26

poppity it was around the 103 mark most of the afternoon, then i did cool flannel (he puked up the nurofen) which didn't seem to do much. then i did chicken noodle soup and his temp has gone down to just under 102.

he is asleep naked in our bed (our room is much cooler than his which gets the evening sun) with just a sheet.

i'll keep checking it and one of us will sleep with him.

Pollyanna Tue 02-Jun-09 20:27:43

my 4yo dd had a febrile convulsion yesterday and the paramedics allowed me to take her home rather than go to hospital (she still had a temp of 39 at this stage, but it was going down). I alternate (every 2 hours) calpol and nurofen - iirc you are allowed to give more than it says on the bottle. Ime only nurofen works. Her temperature has been going up and down between 35 and 39.5 all day today too.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 02-Jun-09 20:31:03

just checked and it is 101 now.

hope it keeps coming down. he hasn't had any calpol since about 3pm, so it is his body doing this iyswim.

Poppity Tue 02-Jun-09 21:39:00

Hi, sorry, had to go out.

Glad it's dropped a little.

If he has eaten, he might keep nurofen down now?
I would give calpol too if his temp stays like that, but it's up to you. Hope his temp keeps dropping anywaysmile

Poppity Tue 02-Jun-09 21:41:45

Glad you didn't have to go to hospital Pollyanna, I can only speak for the area I work in, and they are only guidelines even then.

Poppity Tue 02-Jun-09 21:42:41

Sorry, posted too quickly,

hope they are both better soon, it's even more horrid being poorly in the heatsad

Pinkjenny Tue 02-Jun-09 21:51:27

Slight hijack but I am totally confused. My dd has been spiking a temp for two days now as she has chickenpox and NHS Direct specifically told me NOT to alternate calpol and ibuprofen. Am worried now that I'm supposed to be on my way to A and E! The GP told me yesterday it was to be expected with so much virus in her system.

Poppity Tue 02-Jun-09 23:09:01

It depends on what is managing her temperature really.

It will be due to the dosing times that they said that I think. (Calpol every 4 hours, Nurofen every 6, so every other dose would not necessarily work out)

I don't want to panic everyone, really! I just wanted to pass on our guidelines. A temperature of 40 degrees can be dangerous for various reasons, and it is best to work on keeping that temperature down.

You can't just judge on a temperature alone, you have to look at everything else (are they floppy, very pale, fast breathing, rapid pulse, cold hands and feet, general wellbeing, how long have they been that way etc)

You know your child, and whether they are not 'right'.

And the GP is of course, right, she has chickenpox, so she will have a high temperature and feel rotten.

I wanted to get across that a high temp (38+)which continues to rise, or is not managed by calpol/ibuprofen, can be a sign of an infection which needs intervention. Obviously that is not always the case, I always err on the neurotic safe side, most probably because of my job.

Sorry if I frightened anyone, I don't actually know how NHS direct do it, it's virtually impossible without seeing the patient!

Heathcliffscathy Wed 03-Jun-09 08:33:54

fever broke in the night. temp is now 37!!

he is desperate to go to school. i'm doing books at school this morning so will be there if he voms or spikes again and take him straight home.

thanks so much for the support last night, was a bit scarey at moments

CountessDracula Wed 03-Jun-09 11:28:31

omg i misse dthis!
poor ds

DD had a v similar thing just before half term. Complaining of stomach ache and feeling sick but not actually sick. No runs either

She was fine after about 4 days

Pollyanna Wed 03-Jun-09 12:50:06

oh good, I'm glad.

Poppity, I didn't mean to discredit your advice - I presume I was allowed to take dd3 home rather than the hospital because I have dealt with fits before, and it was only on the condition that I took her to the doctors to rule out an underlying (serious) infection. Which i did (and she is fine but temperature still going up and down).

Poppity Wed 03-Jun-09 20:25:59

No problem Pollyanna, I didn't feel you were, it does tend to be surprisingly different across the country, hope she's better soonsmile

I'm glad he's better sophablesmile

Pinkjenny hope your DD is better too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now