Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know anything about bicornate wombs?

(13 Posts)
ClaireDeLoon Tue 02-Jun-09 11:21:48

I have been having investigations for mid cycle bleeding/bleeding after sex. Today I had an ultrasound and the doctor told me I had a bicornate womb. He said it is partially divided. Can anyone tell me what this means?

We've been trying to conceive for nearly 2 years following a miscarriage at 9 weeks in September 2007 which was my first and only pregnancy. Does anyone know how this will impact things for us? Feel really upset.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 02-Jun-09 12:04:53

bump, anyone please?

Clockface Tue 02-Jun-09 12:08:29

I have one, and I have two wonderful dc! grin

I had bleeds during both pgs, and it was only in the 2nd that anyone told me I had a bicornate womb, and that was why.

Ask for a bit more info. Maybe from a midwife or gynae nurse - sometimes they have more time to explain things properly. Try not to worry [hugs]

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 02-Jun-09 12:13:17

My sister has one. It's a structural defect from birth, there are different levels aswell, some are in two halves, split down the centre. I think my sister's is heart shaped. She did have three miscarriages but she has fibroids aswell. She has a lovely toddler now though. The uterus is designed to stretch in pregnancy so I don't think this is normally a problem.

Clockface Tue 02-Jun-09 12:16:33

Mine is heart shaped. this may help but do ask your own doc / nurse for more specific info on your womb.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 02-Jun-09 12:56:17

Thank you both, I am relieved that others have it and have DC's. I was just terrified when he said a womb split in to two, thought it might have meant the end of our chances.

I will go to see the consultant next week I suppose (he said he would ring me or write to me once he had the results of the ultrasound and the smear he did).

AnarchyAunt Tue 02-Jun-09 13:12:28

My cousin has one, in fact she has a septate uterus. She had corrective surgery two years ago, and she now has a delightful 3 month old DS.

As others have said it depends very much on what degree you have - my cousin had 6 MCs before it was discovered and corrected, but hers was very severe and she also has PCOS. She has met women with a bicornate uterus who have had no real problems whatsoever.

CurryMaid Tue 02-Jun-09 13:14:02

My friend has one.

Didn't know til the third stage of her labour when she couldn't deliver the placenta. They had to send someone in for it as it had got stuck in one half.

ClaireDeLoon Tue 02-Jun-09 13:32:24

Thank you again, I will ask the gynae how severe etc. I should have asked the doctor scanning me I was just in shock I think.

CherryChoc Tue 02-Jun-09 13:49:32

My MIL has one and had 3 healthy DCs, all by c-section though as the first two were badly positioned which is apparently caused by the heart-shaped type.

Clockface Tue 02-Jun-09 14:14:40

Yes, I was lucky with dd - she was in a blimmin' awful position and it was nearly a C-section but they managed to ventouse her out (which, now, aged 6, she finds hysterically funny!) grin

HullabaLuLu Tue 02-Jun-09 17:09:13

My mum has one and had 4 of us but only carried one to full term. She was told it was due to her heart shaped womb but I don't know if that's true. We're all fit and healthy though!

Clockface Tue 02-Jun-09 17:35:29

Yes, both dd and ds were early. They were fine though and are gorgeous healthy children now.

I'm a romantic old fool, so since I found out about mine, I've always thought it highly appropriate that the place which nurtures, grows and protects my babies shuold be heart shaped. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now