Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Arse. Please talk to me about changes in moles

(10 Posts)
littlelamb Mon 01-Jun-09 18:41:12

I've just realised a mole I have on my chest has changed colour completely. It has always been a strange one it's the only one I have that's slightly raised and bumpy. It is normally a light brown. It's now black shock I am chastising myself for getting sunburnt this weekend and am now bricking it about getting a doctors appointment. I should go to the doctors shouldn't I? What are they likely to do?

cornsilk Mon 01-Jun-09 18:42:54

It's probably fine but best to get it checked. The GP can refer you to a specialist who can check all your moles - I had mine checked a few years ago.

FabulousBakerGirl Mon 01-Jun-09 18:44:18

No, actually, it isn't fine. Get checked out if moles change size, shape or colour. Get a pencil with a rubber on the end, if it is bigger than the rubber it needs checking.

there was a whole piece on BBC news this morning about it.

FabulousBakerGirl Mon 01-Jun-09 18:45:22


not the GP i saw but it should still help

littlelamb Mon 01-Jun-09 19:08:50

Hmm. It's not quite as big as a rubber. But it has definately changed. I have a massive one on my back that I'm no worried about too as I can't see it to check it. I am going to collar a friend tomorrow to have a look for me. Lucky girl grin

summer111 Mon 01-Jun-09 20:07:36

Have them checked out and either way, have them removed. That way you won't have the underlying worry again. I had a sun spot frozen off a few moths back just to give me peace of mind and I feel tonnes better as a result. It was a pretty painless procedure and all healed v quickly.

littlelamb Mon 01-Jun-09 20:16:07

How do they remove them?? I have horrible images of them gouging them out

littlelamb Mon 01-Jun-09 20:16:07

How do they remove them?? I have horrible images of them gouging them out

careergirl Mon 01-Jun-09 21:19:19

they will probably excise/cut it out. Shot of local anaesthetic (which I admit stings a bit) and then you really don't feel anything. They will probably put a few stitches in and you're done. Do go and get it checked out.

jojosmaman Mon 01-Jun-09 21:40:54

Get it checked out at your doctors. I had a mole on my elbow from childhood which i noticed changed shape slightly (I described it like an eclipse, it went kind of red and uneven around the edges) and I wasn't particularly worried, I just didn't like it! Anyhoos, good job i did as it was a malignant melanoma (worst form of skin cancer) and was promptly whipped out. They did this by local anasthetic, cut it away and stitched it up. Checked it was def cancer and then took some more surrounding skin away which was luckily fine so it hadn't spread.

This was 15 years ago (I was 14 years old) and in some ways it was the best thing for my skin as ever since I have been high factored up to the max and never sunbathe (I do go out in the sun, just not between 12-3 and not to lie in it) so do have fairly good skin. The only negative is the amount of money I spend on fake tan!

Just remember, if caught early it is very successfully treated so get checked out even if just for peace of mind!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: