Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

discharge after childbirth?

(5 Posts)
MegMog Mon 01-Jun-09 18:07:41

Hi, I am 7 weeks postnatal. I stopped bleeding about 2 weeks ago. At first I had nothing at all but for about the past week I have had a heavy, yellow discharge, it is quite dark, as though there may be some old blood in there. I had swabs taken a couple of weeks ago as I was concerned about the bleeding - they came back clear. I am just wondering whether to have more done? It is slightly itchy and has a watery consistency. I wouldn't say it smells awful but is doesn't smell quite right. Is this normal at this stage? I don't want to keep going to the GP as I have taken ds in a few times already too

belgo Mon 01-Jun-09 18:10:51

Could be thrush. If you are not sure, go back to the GP, that's what they are there for.

Unicornvomit Mon 01-Jun-09 18:12:31

itch=y discharge that smells a bit ick could be an infection or thrush
don't ignore it. maybe see the practice nurse instead?

MegMog Mon 01-Jun-09 18:22:03

Thanks. I had an appointment today but cancelled it as I feel I am always going down there! Will try and get another one for tomorrow smile

nosleeptilbedtime Thu 04-Jun-09 22:45:52

Sometimes lochia smells quite wierd, not fishy or nasty, just a quite unusual smell... I was worried about it with my first daughter and actually got a midwife to smell me blush and she said it is quite normal.
If ou are still only 7 weeks pp you may still be just at the end of lochia stage?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now