Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

discharge from breast - panicking

(13 Posts)
jambutty Sun 08-May-05 07:23:46

Ive changed my name for this as it's a bit delicate/embarassing.

When I woke up this morning I noticed my t shirt was a bit wet, and it seems some liquid has come out of my breast in the night. I squeezed and more came out - white and a bit thick. Anyone know what this could be? Not sure it's milk.
I have a one year old baby and stopped b/f about four months ago, had no leakage since really.
Please someone tell me I'm an idiot and it's quite normal!

bobbybob Sun 08-May-05 08:03:34

I love your new name, but I don't think your problem is embarassing at all.

I would say to stop squeezing or it will take even longer to stop.

Could you be pg again?

giraffeski Sun 08-May-05 08:59:05

Message withdrawn

jambutty Sun 08-May-05 09:31:47

DH has just woken up, had a look and says it's milk and could I be PG again? As he had a vasectomy last month I bloody well hope not!

Louise1980 Sun 08-May-05 09:37:40

I stopped b/f in august 2002 and occasionally I have breast milk. You say your d/h has just had a vasectomy? Does this mean you have just stoped taking the pill? Or stopped som other hormonal contraceptive? if you have thats why its happening now. Hormonal contraceptives can stop you producing milk so when you stop your body starts again.

At least that was what I was told at eth Brest Clinic for the same problem!

hth

singersgirl Sun 08-May-05 09:48:38

I was still occasionally leaking milk a couple of months ago after stopping b/feeding DS2 in October 03 - I can still express a few drops if I squeeze (not that I do v. often.....). I've stopped leaking now I think, but was getting damp patches on bras and T-shirts quite often if the boys leaned on me. I b/fed DS2 for 26 months, so not sure if length of b/feeding has something to do with it. Sounds like milk to me, but if you're worried do check your breasts for any changes.

Twiglett Sun 08-May-05 10:04:22

you haven't been having unprotected sex since the vasectomy have you? I thought you had to give it 3 months till you got the all-clear from doctors

bensmum3 Sun 08-May-05 11:33:19

I posted a similar thing not long ago, I stopped BF 12 months ago after feeding for nearly a year. I hadn't really noticed before, but this month, probably at ovulation time I noticed leakage on my bra.I've now had another period, so I'm not pregnant.

jambutty Sun 08-May-05 14:02:59

Thanks for this - it helps a lot. No, we haven't had unprotected sex, and I haven't come off any other form of contraception. Hopefully it is just milk - I didn't think it could be because I haven't had anything like this before. We'll see how it goes. I'm a bit less worried now than I was at 7am!

oldbuzzard Sun 08-May-05 19:09:13

If its any consolation, I stopped b/f 5 years ago and still get a few drops of what looks like colostrum from both breasts. Went to GP who sent me for a scan of my pituitary gland, but all was clear. Consultant told me that I was a variation of normal whatever that means.

giraffeski Sun 08-May-05 19:13:22

Message withdrawn

oldbuzzard Mon 09-May-05 07:57:22

there is no harm in mentioning it, but I dont think you have anything to worry about. It appears to be fairly common

Louise1980 Mon 09-May-05 11:13:10

I would tell gp but doubt its anything to be worried about. I only have to see the consultant in the breast clinic as I was bleeding from my nipple as well as the milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now