Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hands up if you're on the 'mini pill' and can you tell me why I am having a peroid ggrrrrr

(6 Posts)
shinyshoes Sun 31-May-09 19:37:20

I was on Microgynon (combined pill) since I was 15 (am now 34) I only had a break when I concieved the babies and they were concieved pretty quickly. I had my DD 16 months ago, I decided to go on the pill injection, (had 2 lots) didn't work out, for reasons I can't remember why and went to the doctor for the Microgynon again.

He told me new 'guidlines' said I can't have it because I am ahem large. Now I have been ahem large for about 6 years and he had no problem giving it to me then.

He suggested I take the mini pill. Cazerrette or something, I slung the box so I don't know. I reluctantly agree, I very much hate change and it weren't broke so he shouldn't have meddled. Anyways 2 weeks in and I'm having a fucking period. angry I am not pleased, he said there might be irregular 'spotting' and I can't stop taking the pill it's to be taken continuously, but seriously this is an all out bleed, I am having a period. Will I continue to have these? can I expect these every month?

motherpi Sun 31-May-09 19:49:39

Er, yes you can expect these A LOT.

I have a very similar history, and am not not allowed back on (lovely, lovely) Microgynon because I had a migraine about eight years ago.

I was prescribed Cerazette after my last baby ('oh good' I thought - 12 hour window), and I bled almost continuously for nearly four months, which made it extraordinarily effective, but not much fun.

I'm now on Micronor but I keep missing the blasted three-hour window, which means I bleed for a couple of days (and makes it ineffective for a week).

Anyone tried the mirena (sp?) coil?

babyhouse Sun 31-May-09 20:04:15

Hi shinyshoes, have been taking this for 4 years and have only had a light bleed once or twice a year, maybe it reacts differently with different women? It obviously doesn't suit you.
I have since found out that this is one of the newer, better and more expensive mini pills but I am sure there are other brands which you could try so that you can find one that suits you better.
I would go back to your doctor and say this is no way to live!
I too have been advised to try the mirena but have heard all sorts of horror stories from friends!!

Drusilla Sun 31-May-09 20:10:22

You could try the normal (non-Mirena) coil? No hormones at all to mess you about. I had one 4 years ago after the mini pill gave me two periods EVERY month

shinyshoes Sun 31-May-09 21:16:25

Thanks all. Personally I don't want anything inserted 'down there' . I have enough problems trying to get through a smear without having a few vodkas wink. But if this carries on I will be insisting he change what contraception I have I can't be having all these bleeds, I can't be caught unawares, especially where i have 2 jobs, one in a school (can't afford 'accidents' )

Seona1973 Sun 31-May-09 22:14:18

I had one period with cerazette at the start and now havent had one for over a year. You have only been taking it for 2 weeks so give it a chance to settle down. If the bleeding continues over the next 3 months then you could try a different mini-pill as there are several different types and another one may suit you better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now