Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I burst the 7 huge blisters on my feet or just wait them out?

(28 Posts)
BlueBumedFly Sun 31-May-09 08:15:24

I stupidly bravely completed a 20 mile walk yesterday for breast cancer. It was great and my team raised 4.5k between us. All good.

However I have 7 huge blisters, I don't know how I am going to get shoes on for work to tomorrow - help!! All the medical websites say don't burst them!!! Any tips?

Legs have also seized up, shoulders ache from carrying my rucsac and I have a big graze on my knee from where I fell over (did sob a bit at that point).

So all in all I am a total wreck and yet pleased I finished the course. I did try to get training in but anyone who knows what we have going on right now will understand it was very hard to fit any in! Hence I am one big ouch!

Ideas and/or sympathy much apprecieted...

scienceteacher Sun 31-May-09 08:16:41

Don't burst them - they will get infected.

BlueBumedFly Sun 31-May-09 08:23:59

Euw, that doesn't sound fun... How long till the fluid goes away??

seeker Sun 31-May-09 08:25:51

Don't burst them. But you could use a sterilized needle to puncture them low down on one side and very gently (so as not he break the skin) press the liquid out, then dress them with soft (but not cotton wool) dressings and surgical tape.

And wear trainers to work as a badge of honour!

BlueBumedFly Sun 31-May-09 08:31:00

Thanks seeker - have just managed to make hats for my toes out of compeed! Will drain later if no improvement.

Re the trainers I was hoping to do a sacrificial burning today in the garden!! I have a client meeting as well, slippers may not be an option!!

cheshirekitty Sun 31-May-09 13:15:32

Think whoever invented compeeds should get the noble prize for feet!!!

Do not burst the blisters. Keep them clean and dry and use plenty of compeeds.

makipuppy Sun 31-May-09 14:37:44

Get a needle and thread, dip it in iodine and thread it in one side and out the other of the blister. Pull it all the way through and out again. This will disinfect it and the liquid will gradually leak out of its own accord.

A trick I learned walking the pilgrim's trail. Comes with a holy guarantee...

BlueBumedFly Sun 31-May-09 15:25:08

Compeeds are fab!

Sorry to sound like a real idiot but where can I buy iodine?

bronze Sun 31-May-09 15:26:46

gree with mekipuppy though if you want to speed it up you can leave the thread in and squeeze them from the middle outwards/ Also tcp or anything like that works

makipuppy Sun 31-May-09 15:33:11

Yes, sorry, quite right Bronze, you leave the thread in, so the disinfection is constant. Congratulations on the walk smile

BlueBumedFly Sun 31-May-09 16:36:24

Thank guys! So, where do I buy iodine?

BlueBumedFly Sun 31-May-09 16:36:56

Just saw the TCP note as well, am going to go and raid the bathroom cupboard.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 31-May-09 16:38:04

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

Think I'd rather leave them then thread them through with iodine!

Well done on the walk, BBF.

BlueBumedFly Sun 31-May-09 17:41:35

Thanks because. I am starting to chicken out!!

My legs are killing me, having a 2 y/o isn't helping! Not sure now if I am overhydrating. Got v dehydrated yesterday even though I drank ALL the way round the 6.5 hours. Blood pressure dropped to 50/100 and heart beat went up to 100 at rest. Today I feel dreadful but have been drinking all day. So glad it was for a good cause!!!

makipuppy Sun 31-May-09 17:53:22

It doesn't hurt at all! The skin on the blister is dead. It's quite fun in a rather wrong sort of way...

And you need to put your feet up!

BlueBumedFly Sun 31-May-09 18:31:52

euw

Will make tea for 2 x SDDs then put dd to bed then a bath then needle time !!! Then I guess I cover to avoid infection?

Where does wine come in??

makipuppy Sun 31-May-09 19:48:47

I think you need to let the air get to it. If you cover it you might end up pulling off the skin which is the worst possible thing.

I do believe you have earned yourself a glass bottle of wine. Good effort!

I'll be checking later to make sure you didn't chicken out grin

bronze Sun 31-May-09 19:50:12

agree theres something strangely satisfying blush

makipuppy Sun 31-May-09 19:56:14

Gosh Bronze, you have spectacularly lovely kids!

bronze Sun 31-May-09 19:57:18

why thank you. I think so myself but some may say I'm biased.

whooosh Sun 31-May-09 20:03:40

I had exactly the same problem after a similar experience. Ispoke to a friend who's daughter is at the Royal Ballet School (home of lots of blisters)and theor advice is to burst them shock and then dry with a hairdryer.I did it and it was ok.

BlueBumedFly Sun 31-May-09 20:33:03

Right, surgery over. It was oddly satisfying! I have left one un-drained which is now my 'control' blister so I know the right course of action next time!!!

I like the hair dryer idea..... Off for some wine. Thanks all!!!

And bronze.. You do have gorgeous looking kids!

makipuppy Sun 31-May-09 20:41:37

Good work, drink a glass for me, I feel quite drained from my virtual ministrations...

Hulababy Sun 31-May-09 20:50:47

I have several blisters all over my feet too, following a busy week in New York. Have now burst the 4 main ones, inc one blood filled one.

I used a needle. It didn't hurt and they seem okay so far. Have previously had a nasty one that got infected all up my leg, so being careful.

Looks like sandals all week for me though as not daring shoes on my heels.

Hope yours heal ok.

bronze Sun 31-May-09 21:06:13

I had to do mine like this walking across dartmoor. The blister areas went quite hard for a few days then jut went back to normal. My soggy toes on the other hand...

Thanks blue smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now