Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

8 yr old DD has dandruff/dry scalp.

(10 Posts)
Detta Sat 07-May-05 21:38:03

Does anyone have any experience of this? could it be diet-related? (My mum suggested she needs to eat more fat??!!) Any ideas for getting rid of it? Bless her it looks awful. She has excema so am wondering if it could be related? Any thoughts most appreciated.Thanks

HappyMumof2 Sun 08-May-05 08:59:02

Message withdrawn

Mud Sun 08-May-05 09:18:24

massage oil into her scalp and leave for an hour or so before washing out with a milk shampoo

diet might make a difference to the excema, but added fat I don't think so

Mud Sun 08-May-05 09:23:03

solrry that should be a mild shampoo

Ameriscot2005 Sun 08-May-05 09:35:55

Dandruff is caused by the yeast organism P. ovale. It's on everyone's scalp, but dandruff suffers have an overabundance, and excema sufference even more so. It's possible that diet, and other factors, can lead to this overabundance.

I wouldn't think that she has this because there's not enough fat in her diet, as the P. ovale are thought to thrive on fat (skin lipids).

Personally, I would use Head & Shoulders to get rid of it.

Mud Sun 08-May-05 09:37:02

dandruff can also be symptomatic of skin conditions like psoriasis and excema though

Ameriscot2005 Sun 08-May-05 09:42:43

I understood that excema sufferers simply had more P. Ovale on their scalps than non-sufferers, hence more dandruff.

Could be wrong though - it's been a lot of years since I learnt about this.

Pruni Sun 08-May-05 10:25:04

Message withdrawn

Detta Sun 08-May-05 13:32:05

thanks for all your advice. Have been using Head and Shoulders, but no joy there. Have bought very mild baby shampoo, so will begin with that and a thorough rinsing for a week or so.

SofiaAmes Mon 09-May-05 00:05:31

I use neutrogena t-gel on my dd and it works beautifully. If it works, get your gp to prescribe it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now