Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

AM SO CROSS ABOUT NHS/DENTISTS

(26 Posts)
ambrosia Sat 07-May-05 13:23:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starlover Sun 08-May-05 13:59:14

I know how you feel! Our NHS dentist suddenly decided that he was not doing NHS work anymore and so we've all had to go private!

I cannot believe that they are allowed to do this! Complaints seem to fall on deaf ears, and dentists seem to be able to do whatever the hell they like and get away with it.

I think ALL dental surgeries should have to have a certain percentage of NHS customers.

flamesparrow Sun 08-May-05 14:41:01

My lovely one did it to me too... I am now stuck with a terrifying woman who started drilling last week, and when I yowled in pain said "Oh, did you want an injection?"

And I am one of the lucky ones because I actually managed to find a new nhs dentist!!!

Janh Sun 08-May-05 14:49:53

Our Denplan dentist has a beautifully equipped surgery, and our Denplan subs appear to subsidise full NHS coverage for our kids including orthodontics. If your mouth is in good nick it only costs about £5 a week, and that covers all your check-ups and X-rays and hygienist cleans and any fillings needed - and there is no danger of the dentist doing something that doesn't need doing to get a bit more money.

And you are covered for dental emergencies.

I think it's worth it.

Janh Sun 08-May-05 14:51:57

And opticians aren't free. What's the difference?

starlover Sun 08-May-05 14:55:52

the difference is that supposedly everyone is entitled to an NHS dentist.
I think it's wrong of them to suddenly decide that everyone has to go private or do without!

Janh Sun 08-May-05 14:56:40

Everyone used to get free eye tests too.

starlover Sun 08-May-05 14:58:22

and not everyone can afford to go private or pay £5 a week for denplan.

Janh Sun 08-May-05 15:01:22

"Free dental check-ups and eye tests were abolished in 1989 and led to an immediate 25per cent fall in the numbers of NHS dental treatments and a 70 per cent fall in NHS sight tests. To an extent these falls have been compensated for by rises in private check-ups and sight tests. There is little evidence of the health impact the abolition of free check-ups and sight tests has had on the population and hence it is difficult to assess the cost-effectiveness of this policy."

Everyone can't afford nice glasses or contact lenses either but there is no choice at all for them.

Aero Sun 08-May-05 15:07:16

Well, my new glasses were £99 for two pairs - I won't need to go again for two years.
My dentist (who has also gone private recently), charges £42 for a check-up! I used to go for that yearly if all ok, but this last year I've had to have a lot of dental work done and if I'd not just had a baby, I'd never have been able to afford it. Now also for my children to still have NHS care from her, I have to stay with them as a private patient.
As I spent such a long time being terrified of the dentist, and I gave found such a good one, I am reluctant to go anywhere else (not that there are any NHS dentists taking on new patients anywhere locally anyway), but it worries me how much it will cost and my teeth are bothering me a little at the moment and I simply cannot afford huge amounts to spend on it.
My SIL has been told that the treatment she requires will cost £1,000!!! I was floored!

starlover Sun 08-May-05 15:07:17

that's not really the point though is it.

THe point is that it's unfair for a dentist to suddenly tell everyone they have to pay for private treatment!

Janh Sun 08-May-05 15:58:42

Aero, does your dentist belong to Denplan? It does include a lot of work - not lab costs for things like crowns, but most of what happens in the surgery.

My kids all wear glasses and so do I, and I reckon we have spent much more on that than on dental treatment over the years; and that doesn't include the eye surgery I had to have a couple of years ago. It wasn't available on the NHS (or if it had been I would have had to wait years for it, and meanwhile I was walking past my own kids on the street) and cost £4,500

Aero Sun 08-May-05 16:18:42

Ouch re eye op Jan.
Don't know if they belong to denplan - I know they have some plan or other of their own, but it only includes either one or two check-ups per year and x-rays, depending on whether you go for the cheaper or more expensive option. So far, I've said I'll pay as I go.
Have just received the kids reminders though so will ask re denplan.
Is that £5 for the whole family or just you?

Janh Sun 08-May-05 16:25:11

Per person if you have Grade A dental health to start with, Aero (don't quote me though, it's a guesstimate, I couldn't find a price list - I'm a Grade C and DH a Grade B and ours is £30 a month combined and you get a slight discount if there are 2 of you. Grade A might even be less). It's quite possible that we pay more this way than if we just paid as and when, but it means you don't need to panic if you suddenly get a problem. You also don't have to wait weeks for an appt.

Because we both have Denplan they treat the kids under the NHS, I think that's quite common. I know there is more than one private plan that dentists use so yours might have a different one.

ambrosia Mon 09-May-05 21:12:55

Janh Mon 09-May-05 21:16:51

No, we pay £30 a month for me and DH, and the kids are covered by the NHS.

Janh Mon 09-May-05 21:19:57

And, sadly for us, DH and I both tend to need rather more than just a quick checkup. And having a Denplan surgery means much better equipment and quicker appts than NHS.

If you are lucky enough to have good dental health then you needn't bother.

ambrosia Mon 09-May-05 21:40:10

Janh Mon 09-May-05 21:48:29

Don't the insurance scheme dentists do one-off private appointments at all? I didn't know that.

ambrosia Mon 09-May-05 21:52:15

pixiefish Mon 09-May-05 21:58:35

totally agree with you- had this happen to me recently- but worse than that my dentist isn't offering denplan- he's gone private. we can join a plan and pay £11 a month which pays for 4 visits a year and 20% off any treatment i may need.

Have had to take it as there are no nhs dentists around here and if i go off his books he won't look after dd

Janh Mon 09-May-05 22:03:17

There doesn't seem to be a universal denplan fee but from what I have found it looks like someone with excellent dental health pays c £12 a month, and probably for 2 like that it would be £20 a month, or c 35p a day each.

sandycheeks Mon 09-May-05 22:12:36

It's terrible that we have to pay for dental treatment, but I can recomend denplan. Dh has had about 4 fillings each year and only pays 12 pounds a month.

arrraagggh Wed 18-May-05 21:54:15

Whats really annoying is that im supposed to be maternity exempt and should have free dental care. There is not one nhs dentists in my town taking on. The only thing ive managed to get from my maternity exemption card is a measly bottle of gaviscon. I think dental treatment should be part of our antenatal and postnatal care as pregnancy can affect your teeth and so something should be provided for us it shouldnt just be tough luck if there isnt any available in your area.

Tinker Sat 11-Jun-05 23:46:09

My dentist has now offered this (Denplan) and knowing how hard it was for my partner to recently get a dentist (not at my place) I realise getting an NHS one is going to be hard or just delaying the inevitable. However, I'm still entitled to my 12 months free post natal treatment - anyone know how that works under teh scheme? Also, how my check-ups can I have per year with the scheme - am currently down to annual ones I think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now