Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH having his tonsils out - I'm scared!

(11 Posts)
PleasinglyPointless Thu 28-May-09 20:36:18

His response was "You're scared?? How d'you think I feel?"

So... adults and tonsils. Give me stories of hope and encouragement.

Haemorrhage stories not necessary thanks. wink

He's been told to book a fortnight off work. That it may be day case but to pack for overnight in case. Lots of painkillers.

I will be 24 weeks pregnant by then and pills should have kicked in so I should be sane enough to cope with caring for him and the DC.

bigbellylady Fri 29-May-09 05:26:54

I had mine out when I was 19.

It was hideously painful for the first couple of days but managable with good pain relief.

I had no problems with recovery and dont miss the frequent tonsilitis so it was worth it.

PleasinglyPointless Fri 29-May-09 11:07:58

Thank you

He said the consultant took one look in his throat (before even discussing how recurrent it is etc), said he was horribly scarred by it and taking them out was best shock

TrillianAstra Sat 30-May-09 11:36:46

Not sure about tonsils but can I compare it to DP with wisdom tooth? He said operation to remove and aftermath was actually less bad than one bout of infection, especially because you know that once it's out it's not going to get infected ever again.

MadameCastafiore Sat 30-May-09 11:47:35

I have to honestly say that I would rather have DS again without pain relief than have my tonsils out - it was the most painful thing I have ever had done - including nose job, wisdom teeth out and having all of my under carriage repaired! Get lots of cocodomol!

But you shouldn't have to look after him - the first 3 days are bad and then you feel better for a few days then shit again at about day 7 and it lasts till day 10 and then you are ok but you can fend for yourself and pour your own drinks and go to the loo etc.

TrillianAstra Sat 30-May-09 11:50:51

Um, stories of hope and encouragement?

huskymum Thu 04-Jun-09 16:06:41

Don't worry about it. I had mine out 2 years ago at 38, and it really wasn't a problem - certainly not as bad as having tonsillitis. They do it in a day, you wake up after the op late afternoon but you're so out of it on pain killers that you don't really know what's going on.They get you to try and eat some tea (DH ate mine!) and if you look ok they'll send you home that night. I was kept in but the next morning i ate some yoghurt and they sent me straight home with a big bag of painkillers. It hurts more after a few days when the strong stuff wears off but REALLY NOT THAT BAD! I did know of someone who haemorraged but they went on holiday after a few days! I think if you sit at home and don't talk/do much you're ok.

littlelamb Thu 04-Jun-09 16:14:39

I had mine out at 23. I was very very scared as I had stupidly thought watching a tonsillectomy on youtube mught curb my fears. It was not so shock
I had thought that the fortnight off work was going ot be too long, but it was just right, it was the GA rather than the surgery that really knocked me for six. I expected to be put to sleep with a mask and to be counted down but they did the GA by a tube in my hand so I didn't even know I was out until I woke up! I felt quite smug really and I spent the next day feeling fine. The things to avoid are anything that might sting (strangely enough potato is a killer) but keep eating toast, as it clears the wound (nice) and prevents infection. They will only send him home with crappy paracetamol so be prepared to go back a few days later begging for some codine.
The pain was worst for me at night, and was in my ears rather than my throat. The pain of the scars falling off is immense, but once that happens, about a week after the surgery, it will all start to improve.
My post makes it sound a nightmare. While I wouldn't want to do it again, it was nowhere near as bad as I thought and as long as he can take it easy and has plenty of pain meds on hand it should all be fine

bohemianbint Thu 04-Jun-09 16:17:17

I had mine out when I was 8, was fine. Don't force your child to eat painful things like crispy fried egg, like my bastard parents made me post op. hmm

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 04-Jun-09 16:31:55

Message withdrawn

cocolepew Thu 04-Jun-09 16:37:49

I had mine out last year, I'm <ahem 40>. It wasn't too bad at first (tonsillitis is worse) but the 5th day was hideous (sorry) It was the pain in my ears. It lasted 2 days and then eased off. I did get an infection but I had a sore throat just before going in. He will need to take his painkillers regulary for at least 10 days. I took Voltarol, codeine and ibruprofen, all given to me by the hospital.

On the upside I haven't had a sore throat since smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now