Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Acidophilus....started taking capsules as have digestion of an old person. Anyone else tried them?

(19 Posts)
Curiousmama Thu 28-May-09 19:09:41

I have an appalling digestion, wind, indegestion, sluggish bowel. I eat fairly healithy, some meat, poultry, fish lots of veg and some fruit.
So I took myself off to Holland and Barrett and they prescribed acidophilus capsules. I've only been taking them for 2 days so no change yet.
Has anyone else tried them with or without success?

Curiousmama Thu 28-May-09 19:10:03

meant indigestion blush

smellymel Thu 28-May-09 19:24:48

hello, i've got some in the fridge. should perhaps try them as i've got crappy (excuse the pun) digestion too. very windy. someone else suggested i may be intolerant to wheat/gluten? would that apply to you do you think?

Curiousmama Thu 28-May-09 19:28:52

Yes I have to try not to overload on wheat. I also get tired after eating so am hoping if my digestion gets going then it'll improve my energy levels. Mine are in the fridge too. I'm off out for a meal tonight so will take one with me.

smellymel Thu 28-May-09 19:30:39

good luck with that. enjoy your meal

saramoon Thu 28-May-09 19:33:12

I have a funny tummy and my mum is always nagging me to take them. I have taken them before when i was in Africa for a few weeks but tbh i don't know if they made much difference. Saying that, my tummy has been worse lately so may try again.
There are certain things that can trigger me having a bad tummy, alcohol sometimes, olive oil i cant touch, too much fruit and veg. Seems to be hormonal too as i often get tummy ache a week or so before my period.

Curiousmama Fri 29-May-09 12:05:56

Yes saramoon I get worse before my period, in fact it's due in a week or so.

I took the acidophilus last night and didn't get indegestion after the meal but in bed had cramp in my feet (which I never get) and felt very spaced out. I think I overdid it yesterday as took 2 capsules plus drank a yoghurt probiotic drink. I'm sticking to 1 today which I just took for breakfast and see if I'm ok with that. I didn't realise you could get side effects but you can.

saramoon Fri 29-May-09 17:33:58

Not sure if you can take too many. I know someone who takes 4 a day with her breakfast!

tiredsville Fri 29-May-09 17:51:30

Yes I take a brand by biocare. 3 times a day
before breakfast ,lunch and dinner. Take on an empty stomach. May I just add I had terrible IBS, I can now eat what I want. Ditch the yogurt drinks, they contain sugary syrupy type stuff which bad bacteria thrives on.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 29-May-09 19:05:35

echo ditching the yoghurt things, they are a useless rip off

Curiousmama Sat 30-May-09 12:26:33

Thanks, I don't usually drink the yoghurt things but dss like them. Dp agrees they're rubbish too.

I didn't feel too bad yesterday, we had a bbq and dp and I did without bread for my bloating and we're both trying to lose weight. Seems to be helping so I'll try to do without as much as I can. We ate couscous which is wheat though so probably causes as much bloating? I feel better though so maybe it's the capsules?

izyboy Sat 30-May-09 12:29:50

When I took them regularly over a period of time (give 'em a good few weeks) the biocare caps really helped my thrush and wind. I Must return to them asap!!

Curiousmama Sat 30-May-09 18:00:01

thanks for the input izyboy glad they helped you smile

pagwatch Sat 30-May-09 18:38:24

you need to give them time. They are after all trying to reorganise your digestive system grin
try to avoid yeast and sugar of course ( including white carbs)

Curiousmama Sat 30-May-09 19:18:50

thanks pagwatch I will give them time, got 100 to go through!

mousemole Sat 30-May-09 19:22:55

Aloe vera juice is also really great for a gripey tummy. After excess - Christmas and heavy meals etc I have to take it for a few days to get back to normal

Curiousmama Sat 30-May-09 20:10:54

Yes agree mousemole I took it years ago and remember it helping, wonder if you can take it alongside acidophilus? I could always ask at H&B?

mousemole Sun 31-May-09 10:27:02

curiousmama, I think you can. I was really out of sorts after xmas and took the probiotics twice a day and the aloe vera juice twice a day and it all seemed OK. Sorted me out.

Curiousmama Sun 31-May-09 12:41:08

glad to hear it I'll get some then. thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now