Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

symphysis pubic dysfunction

(16 Posts)
keresley Thu 05-May-05 19:47:17

Does any one out there have symphysis pubic dysfunction?? I gave birth 22 weeks ago and still have sever pain in my tail bone and my pubic bone. Am seeing a consultant and he wants to give sreroid injections directly into pelvis. Feel like no-one understands my discomfort and would love to hear from anyone else with this same condition. How do you cope with daily life??

Mosschops30 Thu 05-May-05 19:54:46

Message withdrawn

keresley Thu 05-May-05 20:14:01

Hi Mosschops. How have you managed going to the gym? I am in agony just to turn over in bed. I (sadly) can't even bathe my son as it is too much for my pelvis. What excercises do you do ?? Were they recommended?? I fear excercising for making it even worse. Are you seeing a consultant and have you been given any advice?

Mosschops30 Fri 06-May-05 18:24:34

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Fri 06-May-05 18:29:38

Keresley, I had this in the last few months of my last (4th) pg - I ended up on crutches. I still have twinges but I am not really affected anymore. I just wanted to say, as I know how excrutiatingly painful it is, how much you have my sympathy. And Mosschops too.

manicmuvvaof3 Fri 06-May-05 22:14:08

Hello all - Sooo glad someone started this threat. Since having DD, 10 weeks ago, my third child,I have SPD and mentioned it to the GP at 8 week check - he just brushed it aside. Tonight I have been to a Bowen therapist - willing to try anything! Will let you know how I get on. PS - I exercised as usual (badminton, shape and sculpt and Iyengar yoga) until I got too anaemic in pregnancy (7 months), but now gutted as even a slow stroll for a mile seems to make it worse

manicmuvvaof3 Fri 06-May-05 22:15:22

Sorry, THREAD!!! Off to bed now as feel wiped out (as the Bowen lady said might happen!) Keep well, all .

NotQuiteCockney Sat 07-May-05 14:41:59

A friend of mine had SPD really badly - she was in a wheelchair for much of her pregnancy, and some of the months afterwards. She had a really good experience with physio, when her son was about 2. They used some Canadian method about pelvic stability? She got it entirely under control, and knew which exercises to do, to sort it out if it started acting up again.

sallystrawberry Sat 07-May-05 14:48:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RnB Sat 07-May-05 14:49:10

Message withdrawn

Mosschops30 Sat 07-May-05 14:51:14

Message withdrawn

RnB Sat 07-May-05 15:00:18

Message withdrawn

worriedfriend Sun 08-May-05 17:26:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fifilala Sun 08-May-05 17:40:52

I had spd during my pregnancy - but not so severe as to require crutches etc - improved slightly after about 34 weeks - had to wear a fantastic brace to keep everything in place and boy did it hurt when I took it off.

Improved following devlivery etc but even now 3 years if I have walked for long distances I get pain around sp bone and also in my right hip - feels like a real bad toothache at times and quite stiff.

Never done anything about it though!

keresley Sun 08-May-05 22:17:07

So glad to get all these responses about spd- felt like I was the only one to suffer from this. Get quite down about it some days - last night my ds was ill (bad cold) and crying most of the night. My dh got up with him as I cannot carry him without pain. My dh got really frustrated with me saying I should be looking after my son instead of him. I was up all night too but did not lift him in/out of cot or walk round with him (it really does hurt me). Feel that my dh's sympathy has run out for me - wish he could experience my pain for just 1 minute. My consultant said that spd will only 'probably' get better. I am so scared that I will be like this forever.

rosies Fri 20-May-05 09:06:29

have you tried reflexology or acupressure? there are trigger point release techniques that can elp with SPD. find a practitioner that knows what they are doing with pregnancy related problems.

with reflexology, you are after a therapist that has done further/ advanced training. general reflex wont really cover the techniques, although, may still help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now