Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Slapped Cheek....

(22 Posts)
PolkaDotRachel Fri 22-May-09 17:41:56

My baby has been diagnosed with slapped cheek this afternoon.

I have read that it is dangerous for pregnant women. My colleague is (over 20 weeks) pregnant - so should I tell her?

We do work closely together in a v small office however, I do not have any symptoms myself and I do not want to worry her unnecessarily.

If either of us choose not to go to work a) we don't get paid and b) someone else will be called in to cover.

I'm not working until Sunday so if anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated.

belgo Fri 22-May-09 17:44:06

If you're not ill, and your colleague hasn't had any contact with your baby, then I don't see the problem.

quickdrawmcgraw Fri 22-May-09 18:06:49

both my dc's have slapped cheek at the moment. You can see their cheeks are red so they are passed the contagious stage.
I'm worried though because my sister who's pg and at a vunerable stage would have been in contact with them while they were contagious as would her dd. Does she need to do anything now?

candyfluff Fri 22-May-09 19:33:09

im wondering if my son has this too ?
gp said its just infected skin but does look like the google images ive seen
can you look at the pic's on my profile and tell me what you think thanks

PolkaDotRachel Fri 22-May-09 21:31:13

candyfluff - this looks exactly like what my DS has...

GP didn't give him anything to treat it though - he said give Calpol if he's got a temp/feeling grotty and if it gets very sore use a little E45. It should clear up on its own.

Did your GP give anything for the "infection"?

Our GP said he had seen quite a few cases this week but we live in small village. Does anyone you know/at school have similar as its contagious. GP told me to keep him away from other tots till it clears up.

quickdrawmcgraw Fri 22-May-09 21:46:51

It looks like it alright CF. We got a note home from school to say that it was in the school but that once they have the red cheeks it was no longer contagious so my 2 went in to school today.

jetcat32 Fri 22-May-09 22:06:31

hi, my daughter got slapped cheek the day before we were due to go on holiday, with a 24 week pregnant friend. So as you can imagine, we did an awful lot of checking, with various people. There is a small risk of miscarrage in early pregnancy (so DD couldnt go swimming for the first few days incase anyone was newly pregnant) but 24 wks was fine apparantly.

And we didnt get anything for it either - i say we, as then DD2 got it, then me!!! Just calpol etc.

candyfluff Sat 23-May-09 09:22:48

been to the gp twice with him and neither gp said slapped cheek ,they both said they didnt know what it was
2nd gp gave him anti biotics
he's had this mark on his face for 2 weeks now
how much longer
he does have a cold and bad cough too which he's had for 2 weeks also

candyfluff Sat 23-May-09 09:24:46

and its only on one side?

PolkaDotRachel Sat 23-May-09 19:10:26

One side is odd - DS's is on both cheeks now and around the nose and eyes and also spread to parts of the arms and legs.

Maybe because its so isolated the GP thinks its an infection?

Antibiotics won't help with slapped cheek but NHS direct says it can take 1-3 weeks for the rash to go...His cold symptoms could also be part of it but not sure about cough. My LO has runny nose and on/off temperature.

Has it broken the skin at all? I put some E45 on this avo and it really helped.

quickdrawmcgraw Mon 25-May-09 14:47:23

on my dcs it seems to have spread out on the cheeks so that it's really beside the nose and at their ears. Both now have a rash on their arms.
It's been a week since ds's started but it's definitely fading now.

Divvy Mon 25-May-09 14:53:47

One of my friends from "due in club" child has just had this, she was 22 weeks pregnant at the time. Took child doctors told it wasnt SC, few days later friend started feeling ill, and then started bleeding.

Fast forward 2 weeks, she very nearly lost her baby, and the baby had to have blood tranfution while in the womb. It was very touch and go for a while!

Its was later comfirmed Parvo.

Divvy Mon 25-May-09 14:54:21

spelling hmm

PolkaDotRachel Mon 25-May-09 18:15:17

Oh god that's awful Divvy....

I mentioned it to my boss and asked her if I should notify the colleague in question. She said no, if I was not showing any symptoms myself (which I am not).

I guess it's a bit different if you have direct contact with the child in question.

I think my colleague is 30+ weeks pregnant as she is leaving for mat leave in a couple of weeks time.

quickdrawmcgraw Tue 26-May-09 21:55:41

wow scary stuff, my sister went to her doc this morning (she's pg after 3 mcs) and had a blood test taken to see if she's immune. Doc said it's rampant here in Dublin and maternity hosp was innundated with calls.

My 2 seem to be over it now although dd still has a rash on her arms.

hellywobs Wed 27-May-09 20:27:41

I had this 2 years ago (fortunately not pregnant) and it was quite horrible. I had 2 days off work and felt like a complete wimp because my colleague also had it and went into work! We didn't get it from each other. it caused arthritis for about a week afterwards which was rather unpleasant but I survived! grin

aprilflowers Thu 28-May-09 22:33:20

A colleague came to work and brought her child with slap check. I went to the doctor and was told that there was a risk to my child if I contracted it - and I was over 20 weeks. My boss send the woman home. I had a blood test to see if I was immune which luckily it was.
I was sick with worry - its not worth the risk

PolkaDotRachel Fri 29-May-09 14:42:03

I wouldn't have taken my child anywhere near my pg colleague - although if the child already had the rash then he was no longer contagious so presumably unless you had contact with him before the rash appeared then you could not have caught it from him anyway.

aprilflowers Fri 29-May-09 14:54:29

But unless you know you are immune - could you not be incubating the virus - why not just let the woman know and she can make up her own mind

PolkaDotRachel Fri 29-May-09 19:33:35

Well I asked my boss what she wanted to do and she told me not to tell her... I will leave it in her hands as the risk seems to be very minimal.

I won't be going in to the office at all this week or next so hopefully ant risk will have gone by the time I see her next.

I think I am immune anyway as surely I would have gotten it from DS by now.

aprilflowers Fri 29-May-09 23:02:55

Its up to a three week incubation period - if the risk is minimal its still the pregnant women's call.
Anyhow hope your little one is feeling better

NK2725b6e5X121aaf086b1 Thu 04-Jun-09 12:10:57

Hi,

I too am really worried about slapped cheek - i am 13 weeks pregnant and both of my stepsons that live with us 50% of the time have had it.

I have been to my GP and had 2 blood tests and both results have shown a recent mild infection.... I have now been reffered to the pre-natal clinic atthe hospital.

I had my dating scan 6 days ago and was told by the lady doing it that all seemed normal but I have to go for another scan tomorrow to check that the baby is ok and isnt devleoping fetal hydrops. I am really concerened as this is my 1st child

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now