Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chuffed re single vaccines

(16 Posts)
hunkermunker Thu 05-May-05 12:56:26

Hi Chuffed

Just seen your link on the other vaccination thread, but didn't want to hijack.

I'll have to be brief as I think DS is about to wake from nap, so sorry if this comes across as blunt and I don't reply quickly!

Can I ask why you've decided to go with singles?

Why did you choose this clinic (I'm in London myself, so looking for a London clinic if we decide not to give the MMR)?

How old is your child?

Have you had any of the jabs done yet? If not, when will you do them?

DS is 13 mo and he's got a kidney scan on Monday after a UTI around the time he should've had his MMR (not that he was ever going to have it then - if we decide to go down the MMR route, he'll be closer to 18 months. Want to get the all-clear from the scan before thinking about vaccinations.

I do want him vaccinated, but I'm torn about MMR. Just trying to get all the info I can, really.

TIA

Chuffed Fri 06-May-05 12:56:50

hunkermunker - do you want to CAT me. It's me from the April Babies thread, I'm quite happy to chat about this with you.

Sapphire1975 Fri 06-May-05 14:25:38

My son is going to be 3 in August, we chose to pay for singles.
We got them done at St John and St Elizabeth hospital in ST Johns Wood London.

You have to book them via Emed
http://www.e-med.co.uk/separateMMRvaccinations.html#3

Its cheaper if you pay for them as a package than if you pay for each separately.

Good luck

hunkermunker Fri 06-May-05 20:00:03

Thanks, Chuffed, have CATed you.

Sapphire, will look at the link - thank you.

dinny Fri 06-May-05 20:17:44

Hi Hunker, how's you and yours? Hope Monday goes well. DD has had single measles and single mumps (a year apart) and I will do same for ds. Had them done at the Breakspear Hospital in Hemel Hempstead (nearish you?) Absolutely FANTASTIC - they are primarily an allergy hospital and have been offering single vax since MMR was introduced. They are also fully inspected and licensed by the National Care Standards Commission (gov body that inspects private medical practices). Many clinics still aren't registered, so that is worth checking out (when dd had her measles only the Breakspear and one in Worcester had completed the reg with the NCSC - hence out long journey to Hemel!)
My advice - go with your gut feelings.

rubyroo Fri 06-May-05 20:28:22

Message withdrawn

wheresmyfroggy Fri 06-May-05 20:31:44

It's better to have them nearer to 18 months because they are less effective when given earlier apparantly

dinny Fri 06-May-05 20:37:39

rubyroo, phone the national care standards commission, they will tell you if a clinic has been inspected.

rubyroo Fri 06-May-05 20:40:47

thanks dinny will do monday are they on the web as well?

dinny Fri 06-May-05 20:48:18

sorry for no link - was typing and eating supper (slob that I am). from what I can see, the NCSC has changed names and is now this http://www.chai.org.uk/Homepage/fs/en

hth a bit.

rubyroo Fri 06-May-05 20:54:10

thanks dinny have been busy thanks have emailed jabs to get a list as well have started thinking about it all again had decided not to worry cause girls aren't as affected but now not so sure? thanks again

hunkermunker Fri 06-May-05 20:57:07

PMSL Dinny - I do the eating and supper thing too (except not any more - have introduced new flicky-haired sensible and organised Hunker and even have a tidy wardrobe for a change!). Am awaiting Chinese takeaway as too exhausted from clearing out and looking delectable with new hair (did I mention its flickiness?!) to cook dinner

Thanks for recommendation re hospital Dinny - will check that one out too - Hemel's deffo do-able from here

dinny Fri 06-May-05 20:58:27

rubyroo, I'm so glad I had single jabs for dd and I will give them to ds too (starting at 18 months old, and a year between each). it's given me peace of mind (till I start worrying about the next thing!)

dinny Fri 06-May-05 21:01:46

Wow, Hunker - I have to do same...can't go back to work in a milk-stained, ill-fitting, mangy old vest top and falling-down jeans (bizarrely keep getting thinner on bottom half and staying a heffalump up top!??) And desperately need hair doing - it is so bad. Like a hedge with bits of ds's food permanently coming to the surface. Bleaurgh!

hunkermunker Fri 06-May-05 21:03:38

Dinny, you have just described how I went back to work They won't recognise me on Sunday

DH missed it totally mind you - despite having had a good seven inches cut off my hair - didn't notice until I made him look at me!

dinny Fri 06-May-05 21:05:21

gggrrrr, how typical, hey?

hope someone at work will appreciate your suave new look...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now