Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

should I send DD1 in today?? DS has chicken pox

(8 Posts)
sparklymieow Thu 05-May-05 07:15:28

and she has been exposed to it?? TIA...

happymerryberries Thu 05-May-05 07:18:17

She might have it, she might not.

I would send her in, otherwise you will have to keep her home for two weeks after your ds stops being infectious. If the timings run like my kids that would mean her being home for a month!

sparklymieow Thu 05-May-05 07:19:48

ok, I thought that too, better go and sort out her uniform....

sparklymieow Thu 05-May-05 07:21:37

how long are they infectious?? We are going away in 10 days.... hope the others are ok for the holiday..........

angelp Thu 05-May-05 07:22:31

DS will only have been infectious for 2 or 3 days before the spots appeared. So DD may have caught the virus straight away but she will not come up in spots until 2 or 3 weeks after that. She will therefore not be infectious until 2 or 3 days before that. So - I would say yes send her in without a doubt (unles you think she may have caught it same time as DS and therefore may get spots anyday!). Its always such difficult one but as no one knows their child has it until the spots appear, they have already been infectious and spreading it around in all innocence! Its good for children to get it if they haven't anyway so wouldn't worry too much, but do keep her away from babies just in case

happymerryberries Thu 05-May-05 07:30:30

They are infectious until the last spot scabs over. Once the spots are scabs they can go out. they look awful!

With my two dd had it first, ds got it two weeks later. I was on my own, dh was in Australia, via singapore on the way out and hawii on the way back. Spit!

LIZS Thu 05-May-05 07:38:53

Think you could send her in for at least the next week or so but then keep a close eye out for signs of grumpiness followed by spots. However Angelp makes a good point about whether she may have been exposed at same time as ds and be in more imminent danger of coming down with it too.

As to holiday , your ds should have recovered but your dd may be in the throes (remain infectious from a day or two before to 5 ish days from first spot and spots all scabbed) and depending where you are going and who with, possibly not so welcome. I went down with it on holiday one year and had to spend the week inside a caravan rather than mixing with other kids, not fun . Unfortunately for you only time will tell.

sparklymieow Thu 05-May-05 08:35:14

we are going to a holiday camp in great yarmouth, worried that DD1 or Dd2 could come down with it just before we go away, Dh has taken DD1 to school today and she seems fine, so hopefully she is...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now