Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

blue spot on bum? what causes it?

(20 Posts)
misdee Wed 04-May-05 16:44:55

dd3 has a bvlue spot. what causes it?
gp asked if my dh was very dark, he is so white he glows lol.

northerner Wed 04-May-05 16:46:57

I know that dark skinned kids/mixed race can have them, and they are called mongolian something or other. My neice and nephew have them and their Mum is Iranian. That's probably why GP asked if he was dark.

bundle Wed 04-May-05 16:47:25

mongolian spot/blue naevi

These are benign localised intradermal melanocytes which generally appear as solitary, deeply pigmented, blue-black nodules. They may appear at any age but are more common in the young. A peripheral location is most common, usually the face, hands or feet. The mongolian spot is a variant seen on the sacral area of dark skinned babies.

marthamoo Wed 04-May-05 16:49:27

Your GP was, I guess, thinking of Mongolian blue spots here

I thought they were only found in darker skinned babies but maybe Caucasian babies can get them too?

misdee Wed 04-May-05 16:49:45

so she has a monogolian blue spot, but is whiter than white (except for the dark dark hair). maybe should trace back our families trees

MarsLady Wed 04-May-05 16:52:19

Mongolian Blue Spot. Take a photo of it for your records, get the HV to note that it is a MBS and keep it for hospital visits etc. Too many people are quick to shout abuse. Cynical? Nah, just a mother of mixed children who's heard it too many times for the people who should know better!

misdee Wed 04-May-05 16:52:43

btw bundle, i couldnt understand any of your reply, way too over my head lol.

MarsLady Wed 04-May-05 16:53:16

from the people

misdee Wed 04-May-05 16:54:21

mars, i guess i should do that as it does look very much like a bruise. luckily i have a good gp. HV is coming over next week so will also get her top note it in dd3 book.

MarsLady Wed 04-May-05 16:57:34

Good girl. It was my hv (spit spit) who wanted to know how my DTs got bruises on their bottoms. Hello?

misdee Wed 04-May-05 16:59:34

do they both have them?

anyone how unusual it is for Caucasian babies to have them? thought it was odd when the GP mentioned it.

bundle Wed 04-May-05 17:00:11

lol misdee! mine too...just trying to be a bit poncey

RTKangaMummy Wed 04-May-05 17:00:45

Do they disappear as baby grows up into childhood?

I mean do they fade away?

Or are they like birthmark?

misdee Wed 04-May-05 17:02:26

dd1 has abirthmark o0n her bits, dd3 has ablue spot on her bum now i wonder if dd2 has any hidden birthmarks/spots in that area lol.

MarsLady Wed 04-May-05 17:03:10

Yeah, they fade as they grow. Normally by about 5 years.

RTKangaMummy Wed 04-May-05 17:04:47

Someone told me years ago that birthmarks can run in families and are in same area of body.

No idea if that is correct or not or an old wives tale.

RTKangaMummy Wed 04-May-05 17:05:19

Thanks MarsLady

lunavix Wed 04-May-05 17:07:54

It does happen on caucasian babies.

A friends sis had one on her head at birth. HV (well, equiv in australia) told friends dad his wife must have cheated with a dark skinned man!

Gwenick Wed 04-May-05 17:08:03

DS1 has a VERY large MBS on his bum crack - just looks like a whopping great bruise - and he'll be 5 in september - but if anything it's got more promiment as he's got older rather than fading - have a feeling his will be a permanent distinguishing feature (imagine being idenitified by that )

misdee Wed 04-May-05 17:09:27

what a nice thing for th HV tosay (not)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: