Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Digestive woes - trapped wind, noisy tummy

(13 Posts)
BeccyCat Thu 14-May-09 22:21:03

I've been having digestive problems since the new year. My GP is really spectacularly uninterested. It seems to me to be stress related. Has anyone else had a sudden onslaught of digestive probs? I have really bad trapped wind - sometimes pain with this, under my left rib, like a spasmy pain. I think maybe IBS, but some weeks its every day. Some weeks it goes away. I drink more than I should, I don't know if its related? Any advice most gratefully received. Please, mostly, reassure me that I am not going to die.

BeccyCat Thu 14-May-09 22:27:46

Btw i didnt tell the GP that I drink more than I should, and thats preying on my mind.

BeccyCat Thu 14-May-09 22:35:11

Please, anyone

gemmummy Thu 14-May-09 22:37:16

you should go back to your GP and give him all the facts, he can't make an informed decision otherwise.

BeccyCat Thu 14-May-09 22:51:31

Thanks. Has anyone had anything similar?

CheeryCherry Thu 14-May-09 22:55:34

Not an expert by any means, but have you tried doing a food diary, see if you can find any pattern/links with how you feel?
Then a trip to another GP methinks.

whiteheart Mon 18-May-09 18:23:04

hang on first time I've left a message...one two one two

whiteheart Mon 18-May-09 18:44:47

ok...it's working. so, how funny I should stumble over your complaint having just found myself with the exact same symptoms. Just for the record I have ALWAYS had digestive problems and have read everything and anything related to this problem area.
Two things I strongly suggest you do:
1. First thing in the morning before you brush your teeth, drink tea etc take a glass of water and spit (I know) into the water and after 10 mins see what happens. If the spit sits on top...happy days...but if you see it sink to the bottom...not happy days. This is a quick test to see if you have a yeast imbalance which so many us do.
2. You could have H Pylori (check out the symptons which are just as you describe) which is a bacterial infection affecting the stomach which if left untreated without Anti B's causes all sorts of digestive problems just like the ones you describe.

Hope this helps

Let me know how you get on...

GreenPeas Mon 18-May-09 18:56:55

Interesting....

I've been suffering from something similar for a few months but only went to the GP about it last week. She also seemed to think it was most likely stress/anxiety related (my job isn't going brilliantly at the moment and 3 yo dd has been more than usually trying, grr) but she did arrange a load of blood tests and a follow up appointment. I've also kept a food diary but can't spot any particular pattern or trigger so far.

What I will be doing is what whiteheart suggested (odd though it is!).

mrsmaidamess Mon 18-May-09 18:59:45

Do you eat lots of bread and sugary stuff, because my gut makes some WEIRD noises if I eat too much of that stuff.

It mioaws like a cat.

whiteheart Mon 18-May-09 19:04:03

I urge you to do it! basically I went to see a nutritionist and we talked about doing the novo blood test (not cheap) so I could find out if I was intolerant to anything as my digestion was so poor. Her advice was "save your money and do this simple test" as she believed I had candida and this was causing all my problems.
SO, I did the test (made hubby do it too as he is PERFECT in that department) and there it was....his sitting all pretty on top of the water (typical) and mine doing allsorts of funky things!!
Then you start googling madly and get diet for yeast overgrowth....voila!

Bucharest Tue 19-May-09 12:48:34

I've just been treated for h.pylori - symptoms more or less as you describe- vague but constant digestive problems, not really affected by any foods in particular...I tested positive (after my GP telling me it was "definitely" my gallbladder and finished the treatment about 10 days ago...I still have a bit of the gastric rumbling thing going on, but am putting it down to the h.pylori bacteria having caused a bit of damage to the stomach before I was treated...It's amazingly common, almost everyone I now mention it too has either had it or knows someone who has...worth having a blood test to see.

Whiteheart- am going to try the spit thing too, out of curiosity as yeast blooms were also suggested to me...

Gurgly Sat 04-Jul-09 11:01:00

I had the exact same symptoms for a few months especially the pain under the left rib cage. the bad trapped wind and everything else you described. My doc took a blood test and a week later it showed helicobacter pylori. I took the antibiotics for a week but it still hasn't really helped the trapped wind and pain has actually gotten worse. When I phoned my GP again he has put me on a months supply of anti acid drug, one day. If this deson't clear it up then I have to go to hospital and get a camera down my stomach ahh. He said it should work within the next week and to give it time. alcohol is a big factor in helicobacter pylori and also smoking. the pain you describe is the exact same spasmy pain. It is acid under your rib cage at the top of your disgestive system. Tell you GP to do a blood test

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now