Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD 2.5 barking cough..

(17 Posts)
CountessDracula Tue 03-May-05 22:08:22

she has had a bit of a cough for a few days plus runny nose but nothing too bad. My office is next to her room, the Longcase just chimed downstairs and obv disturbed her a bit and she moved and suddenly barked really badly (has not woken her) Should I wake her up for some cough medicine? Is barking normal? She sounded very odd

tiffini Tue 03-May-05 22:11:22

it could be a cough called croup (i think) not serious, but she should see a GP.

CountessDracula Tue 03-May-05 22:13:55

Yes it did sound a bit croupy, my brother used to have it when he was little and I remember the noise. It was just a one off though I think and he used to bark for hours. Hadn't thought of that, thanks.

tiffini Tue 03-May-05 22:14:05

croup

jjash Tue 03-May-05 22:14:13

could be croup .My ds had it lasy year and he sounded like he was barking when he coughed .Didnt have any particular medicine and it faded away quickly .Is dd sleeping through the coughing?

CountessDracula Tue 03-May-05 22:15:18

yes jjash, it was just the one or two barks then she went straight back to sleep.

jjash Tue 03-May-05 22:17:19

suppose if shes sleeping she must be ok with it .I reckon if she wakes just try and prop her up abit.I remember having to sit in steamy bathroom with ds one night too.

CountessDracula Tue 03-May-05 22:17:49

have just been in, she is cool and breathing normally. I think maybe is just because she is on her back?

CountessDracula Tue 03-May-05 22:18:13

I remember my brother used to have a coal tar lamp thing that stank!

Heathcliffscathy Tue 03-May-05 22:19:37

barking ok imo. ds barks sometimes. if hasn't woken her up, i think you should assume that she's ok.

ladymuck Tue 03-May-05 22:20:56

Sounds like croup, esp if she has had a cold recently. Mine has it too and the recent change in weather doesn't help (spring and autumn are "croup" seasons). Cough medicine doesn't really help, other than leaving them dozy. If it gets bad then either let her inhale some steam (sit with her in bathroom with hot shower running) or take her outside. If she gets very distressed, or doesn't seem to be breathing properly at all then call the doctor, but usually they get over croup easily enough. The barking is a bit odd though isn't it? Ds1 always complains about ds2 "barking".

jjash Tue 03-May-05 22:22:21

What did the lamp do?

Chandra Tue 03-May-05 22:36:41

I'm going to pay attention to this. DS has been coughing a lot during the last weeks.

I have been told, however, to avoid the coughing syrups, as coughing is the only thing that can help him to get rid of the phlegm. (don't know if that's true for all the cases though)

Chandra Tue 03-May-05 22:37:15

OMG, there were just 2 messages when I started writing, sorry if I crossposted

CountessDracula Tue 03-May-05 22:38:01

It burned a smelly unction called coal tar which ponged to high heaven

motherinferior Tue 03-May-05 22:39:32

DD2 had a horrible bark at night a couple of weeks ago, but it has gone.

jjash Tue 03-May-05 22:42:40

lamp thingy sounds gross !!Thank god for essential oils [ although some of them stink to high heaven too]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now