Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone have tips on stopping a nosebleed?

(8 Posts)
juniperdewdrop Tue 03-May-05 20:01:27

Dh has one and it won't stop. It isn't bleeding heavily just he's trying to eat and it's the first time I've cooked since last Wednesday

juniperdewdrop Tue 03-May-05 20:01:42

Maybe all the take outs have caused it

beansprout Tue 03-May-05 20:02:19

Lean him forward and pinch the bridge of his nose. Do NOT lean him back - the blood will just go into his throat!

beansprout Tue 03-May-05 20:02:56

It can take a while to stop, so give it 10-15 mins. If it doesn't stop, call NHS Direct.

hunkermunker Tue 03-May-05 20:05:30

Lean forwards, put frozen peas in a teatowel and rest it on the back of his neck (cools the blood going into your head - sounds weird, works though!) and cold water or ice on the bridge of your nose (also pinch there).

I used to get 10 a day in the summer when I was younger - had my nose cauterised twice and it didn't work!

Also, try having him blow his nose, not too hard, but I often found there was a big clotty plug that wass just oozing blood (sorry - tmi!) and my nose wasn't actually properly really bleeding. Or even if it was, it stopped far faster after a bit of a blow

My worst nosebleed choked me with blood even leaning forwards - it lasted two hours and if it hadn't stopped, I'd have gone to hospital - I was really scared by the end!

juniperdewdrop Wed 04-May-05 14:16:38

thanks for this, sorry I didn't reply. His nosebleed stopped after a few mins

Pomi Wed 04-May-05 15:28:23

Though it is late but i like to write that in Pakistan when someone has nose bleeding they wash their head with cold water and it stops atonce.

juniperdewdrop Wed 04-May-05 16:26:38

Ooooooo will tell him to do that next time Pomi. So should he go in the shower or just pour it over in the sink? He does get them a fair bit tbh but not as much as he used to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now