Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD (17 months) has alopecia areata

(4 Posts)
Milly1968 Tue 03-May-05 13:36:23

Two weeks ago I noticed a small round bald spot on the right side of DD's head. I took her to the GP today and he diagnosed her with alopecia areata. As she is so young he said we would need to see a dermatologist for a second opinion and for further tests to be carried out. Luckily as we have medical insurance I have managed to make an appointment for tomorrow.

However, I've just been on the internet searching for info on alopecia (a bad idea I know!) and I've got myself quite worried and upset about this. I know it's not a life threatening condition however,I've read that there is no cure for it and it may reoccur for the rest of her life.

Has anyone else suffered from alopecia? Does anyone have any advice, as it's not something I've ever come across before.

starlover Tue 03-May-05 13:38:42

I did when I was at school. I lost a small patch of hair behind my left ear.
Once I stopped having school dinners it grew back!
Dr said it was caused by the stress of them force feeding me my dinner every day!

Evesmama Tue 03-May-05 13:43:18

no, i can definatly grow back!!
i have had it and have recently noticed it happening again(mine it seems is caused my nerves and stress, but can be lots of other stuff)
obviously you wouldnt have this done, but i had to have steroid staples injected into my head(oow!), but was also givena special steroid crem to use.
i am trained as a hairdresser and have seen lots of info on this stuff, but dont get too worried, baby hair is so fine and growing so quickly, it will grow back and look fine very soon im sure

Evesmama Tue 03-May-05 13:43:50

'it, not 'i'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now