Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovary removal and endometrial ablation and cyst removal, anyone?

(38 Posts)
BodenGroupie Mon 11-May-09 11:39:50

Waiting for a date to go in for this op and wondered if anyone has had it and what the recovery time was like. Also, what happens (or doesn't happen) when you only have one ovary?

I'm having a 6m cyst removed and the doc thinks he may be able to do all three things via a laparoscopy. I've had a smaller cyst removed before and had two weeks off work, mainly because of the gas they pump into you and the effects of the anaesthetic.

Consultant was really unhelpful so I went through the phase of googling my symptoms and scared myself silly - got over that now and just want to get this all over with but would like to know what to expect.

BodenGroupie Mon 11-May-09 12:16:57

Whoops, 6cm not 6m cyst!

busybeingmum Mon 11-May-09 13:33:47

Message withdrawn

busybeingmum Mon 11-May-09 15:43:15

Message withdrawn

BodenGroupie Mon 11-May-09 20:28:45

Thanks for the reply - don't like the sound of a "vigorous" op! My reaction wasn't particularly bad - just shoulder pain from the gas and feeling very lethargic and strangely depressed - slow motion everything, not just housework. Actually felt better the first week rather than the second.

I don't know what type of cyst it is. Last time it was functional and this is on the same ovary so he said it might be the same one back again. I didn't realise that was possible.

The ablation is for heavy and frequent periods which have been going on for about four years. I'm not peri-menopausal according to blood tests - I'm 46 so not ttc (you have to have sex for that!).

Best of luck with your op - I'll wait to hear the gory details wink

busybeingmum Mon 11-May-09 22:18:14

Message withdrawn

Marthasmama Mon 11-May-09 22:27:45

Hello, I had an ovarian cyst that weighed a pound and was the size of a grapefruit removed via laparoscopy a few years ago and ma due to have another monster removed at some point. I was back at work after my op took 2.5 hours as the cyst was so big. I didn't feel any ill effects from the gas so I was lucky. They are very likely to want to remove the offending ovary this time as it has been the same one both times. I am really looking forward to having it removed as I can feel it in my stomach and ovarian cysts can cause weight gain. When I had the last one removed the weight fell off. I am a bit worried about the TTC thing as we might want another dc. But we have one of each so are philosophical about it. Good luck with the op. I found when I had my cyst removed I had lighter periods, almost no pmt or period pains. It was so much better!

PeppermintPatty Mon 11-May-09 22:46:19

Hello

I had a cyst removed and my ovary and tube too. My cyst was much bigger than yours, so my recovery time was probably longer than yours will be, so I'm not much help to you here.

But I can tell you will what it's like with only one ovary. For me anyway, it's exactly the same as having 2! My periods are as regular as they were before.

The consultant did tell me afterwards that I should have no problems conceiving, but it may take a bit longer than average. I got pregnant with DD very easily but it's taking longer to conceive DC2. Hope this helps

BodenGroupie Tue 12-May-09 08:43:11

Thanks all, sounds like I probably asked the gynae equivalent of "how long is a piece of string" as it depends on the individual.

Also pleased to hear Marthasmama say cysts can cause weight gain - I have a much bigger tum than I used to (out of proportion to the rest of me) and feel full easily, so hope that might change.

Marthasmama Tue 12-May-09 09:24:00

Another of the side effects of a cyst is bloating so that could explain the bigger tummy.

busybeingmum Fri 15-May-09 08:37:15

Message withdrawn

BodenGroupie Fri 15-May-09 10:24:26

Oooh, thanks for that - glad you feel so well and are able to type as well as walk!

Just chased up the hospital and they've said I should be in by mid to late June so I'm hoping that the hot summer has started by then so I can recover in the garden wink. I was originally told I would be admitted within two months and it's now more like four so I just hope there's nothing dodgy about the cyst [putting horrible thoughts to back of mind emoticon].

Take it easy, and thanks again.

howtotellmum Fri 15-May-09 11:46:23

do you know much more about your cyst? Do you know WHY they are removing it and an ovary? Have you queried this? reason I ask is because I have had a 3cm cycst for 18 months and my gynae who is excellent and a world-renowned gyane( treats Royal family smile is happy to leave well alone as long as it doesn't show any changes- I have scans every 6 months or so.

The conservative thinking is to remove any cyst over 5 sms, but it does depend on what type it is and if itis changing. My dr says he would be happy to leave a 10cm cyst alone as long as it doesn't change in any way.

I am worried they may be putting you through unecessary surgery.

BodenGroupie Fri 15-May-09 12:38:36

The last one I had was only 3cm and didn't grow at all over the year in which they monitored it. They were concerned about it rupturing/twisting so removed it.

This one is 6cm and on the same ovary. I started having periods every two or three weeks with spotting in between, plus bloating. The consultant only told me he'd remove the ovary as I was walking out of the door so I was a bit taken aback. He felt it was better to remove the ovary as it was the same one as last time hmm. Have tried to ask questions since but no one returns my calls, including GP. Suspect my gynae is more likely to treat the Royle family! I get the impression he doesn't like me asking questions.

I need to go in for the endometrial ablation anyway so I suppose they're thinking they might as well. I'm hoping that the cyst is the cause of the big tum.

howtotellmum Fri 15-May-09 12:56:22

BG- I think you need to ask more questions, or ask for a referral to another gynae- privately if you can afford it- very happy to give you the name of mine if you canget to London?

The risk of rupture is, as I understand it, quite small and should be dealt with as an emergency if it happens.

It also depends on what it is like- if it has a stalk it is more likely to twist, if it is flat, then not.

when I have my scans, they talk me through what they see on the screen, then my consultant discusses it with me there and then, and puts it in writing to me a week later. All in all, I feel they are giving me as much info as they have.

I am not complacent about mine- I would rather it was not there.

However, in your case, removing an ovary is a big step and I think you should ask /query why it is being done. I know they like to remove the ovary if they think the cyst might not be benign, and therefore it is dangerous to drain it or remove it, but this should all be discussed with you.

Re. your periods and spotting- if you are 46, that could be down to the meno and nothing at all to do with the cyst. Have they discussed that with you?

If Iwere you, I'd be asking a lot more questions, or asking my GP for a referral for a 2nd opinion.

howtotellmum Fri 15-May-09 12:58:29

p.s. if no-one returns your calls, then make an appt to see your GP!

BodenGroupie Fri 15-May-09 13:45:30

GP not returning calls either! Will make an appointment. Can't afford private.

How much can they tell about the cyst from the ultrasound? I had trans-vaginal and the lady said that the cyst was on or near the ovary...thought that was a bit vague.

I had a blood test to check hormone levels and I wasn't peri-menopausal - that day, anyway. Periods have been haywire for about three years now so I was surprised.

Thanks for all the advice.

howtotellmum Fri 15-May-09 16:24:26

what they have told me when they do a TVS is the size, the shape, whether it is solid or fluid filled ( the latter) and whether the border is regular or not ( the former so far!), and whether there is still a good blood supply to the ovary (not sure of the relevance but must be to show it is not "dead"??), and as I was scanned every 3-4 months, whether it had changed in size or shape. They also did the C125 blood test for cancer, but it is not very accurate even if you have cancer.

I had my hormones checked at my 1st appt with the gynae and he told me I was post meno- had only missed 1 period ever at 52 and as still having periods. I then went on to have a small gap of 2-3 months, no periods, then I had 2 more in succession, then none. Now I am on HRT and have withdrawl bleeds, so my last "normal" period was at 53, though my cycles got shorter over 2 years sometimes as few as 17 days between periods.

You can have your blood hormone levels checked every couple of weeks or on certain days in the month over 2-3 months- obviously when you are not meno quite, the levels can be different all the time!

I am just very anti unecessary surgery- you could have a Mirena coil instead of the ablation, and you could not have the cyst removed unless it look suspicious - they can't force you at the end of the day! It's your body.

Pinkbun Wed 24-Jun-09 23:05:28

Please help. I have been told I have a 9 cm endometrioma cyst on my ovary and they want to take the ovaries away as well. I have heard that their are quite a few side effects from ovary removal. Can anyone let me know if this is the case.

Thanks so much.

DollyPardonme Wed 24-Jun-09 23:17:18

Pinkbun. You need to get as much information as possible. 11 years ago I had a big (grapefruit sized) cyst removed from my right ovary, also the ovary and tube. I was told (then 36 just married and no DC) that they could take the rest out and might be for the best but I discussed the pros and cons. As it was, the cyst was a stage 1 cancer but hadn't spread and they got it all out without need for further treatment apart from follow up visits and scans. DS followed quite naturally a few years later, the only downside was that I was a special case during pregnancy so had numerous hospital visits where all that happened was they asked me "are you feeling ok". Well I was before hours waiting to see you, sunshine. Having one ovary made no difference to my cycle or apparently ability to conceive.

You need to get some really good informed advice on this - if taking away the other ovary is necessary because of the risk of this recurring then it's really a case of managing the side effects. If you want to keep the other ovary you need to know what sort of risk you're running. Good luck.

BodenGroupie Thu 25-Jun-09 17:23:10

Hi Pinkbun, I had 6cm cyst and ovary removed on Monday. They had to remove both because the cyst was actually around the ovary. All very straightforward. Feel absolutely fine apart from a very swollen abdomen which I'm told will subside eventually. They're checking that the removed ovary didn't contain cancerous cells but seem pretty confident. I did go through a horrible stage of googling when I was first diagnosed and convinced myself I had ovarian cancer - DON'T DO THIS!

Why are they removing both ovaries? With one, the other one just works twice as hard.

Write a list of questions and phone your consultant's secretary - they are usually more than happy to talk to you. Best of luck.

Marthasmama Thu 25-Jun-09 17:31:41

Pinkbun, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I am due to have an very very large ovarian cyst removed on the 14th July via laparotomy sad. It is my second large cyst and I brought up the issue of removing the ovary to avoid future surgeries. Due to my age (32), the consultant was very reluctant to take anything away unless absolutely necessary. I don't have the additional issue of endometriosis, but it is worth asking why they are removing both ovaries.

BG - Glad everything went well. Did you have a laparoscopy?

BodenGroupie Thu 25-Jun-09 20:56:15

Yes, Marthasmum, they thought it might be laparotomy but got everything out through laparoscopy. Sorry to hear you're going to have to go through it. According to the leaflet they gave me, it's 4 to 10 weeks recovery time. If nothing else, I hope you get decent weather to recover in!

Only time will tell whether the EA has worked, but they reckon on 90% success rate with many women not having periods at all after the op. Just wish my stomach would subside a bit quicker - my pregnant SDIL is coming to visit on Sunday and I suspect I'm bigger than her sad

Marthasmama Thu 25-Jun-09 21:05:41

Awww, I know how you feel BG. It will go down. It will now be full of gas so that is definitely not due to anything you've eaten.... Thank you. I am trying to use my impending op to get sympathy from DH and to get him to take me shopping to cheer me up. wink Might re-fill that Boden preview shopping basket. grin

Pinkbun Thu 25-Jun-09 22:58:14

It's great to hear about others as I am not doing too well tonight. I saw the consultant today who has told me that unless he removes ovaries I will never be able to be assured that I don't have cancer. He says that even if he can remove only the cysts, the hystology would only apply to that tissue and not what was left behind. My TVS signifies endometriomas but he says nothing is 100%.
Marthasmama - I'm 47 and therefore they feel that my ovaries are of no use any more. I just feel that it's a typical male thing to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now