Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Puke question... (sorry). Anyone had this?

(16 Posts)
Ellbell Mon 02-May-05 21:58:53

Just wondered if anyone's still awake out there who might have had some experience of anything like this.

My dd (nearly 5) has been sick over the last three days. BUT it's a really wierd pattern - not like 'normal' tummy bugs at all. She was sick first on Saturday morning at c. 6 a.m. Then she was fine all day, demanded food, etc. We assumed it was 'just one of those things', and carried on as normal, but then she was sick again at 6.00 p.m. Once again, she seemed fine after throwing up and the next morning showed every sign of being 'over it'. She went all through Sunday and was absolutely fine (eating, etc.) BUT then she threw up violently again at about 10.00 last night. Once again, this morning she was fine (demanding breakfast) but I have kept her on toast all day (with just a few spoonsful of chicken soup tonight too) and she seemed OK... but no... she has just vomited AGAIN.

Please has anyone had any experience of throwing up at 24 hour intervals and with no symptoms in between times? It just seems so wierd. My dh thinks I am over-reacting and that it's just some sort of bug. It's true that I do have a puke-phobia, but nonetheless it IS odd. And it doesn't help that I've just done a quick search on here and the only thing I've found that was remotely similar was the friend of Rickman's whose ds had a brain tumour...! Panic, panic, panic!

Someone tell me this is normal...????? Please????

mmmmchocolate Mon 02-May-05 22:04:47

Don't really know what to suggest only thing i could think of is could it possibly be an attention seeking thing?????

Sugarmag Mon 02-May-05 22:26:09

I don't really know for sure but I happened to be up and read your post so I thought I would reply. I might not have anything helpful to say but figured you would at least appreciate the company!

It does sound a little weird (and I'm totally with you on the puke-phobia!) but is probably just a tummy bug. With any kind of tummy upset food can irritate the stomach for days after the actual bug is gone so that may explain why she's not acting sick. Some kids just don't act sick! I took DS to the hospital one Sunday night because he'd been really unwell all weekend. The doctor took one look at him and thought I was nuts - DS (22 months) was chatting away, climbing on the chairs, smiling - in other words not acting like a child who needed to be taken to hospital on a Sunday night. But after examining him determined he had a temp of 39 and a severe ear infection in both ears.

If she's been throwing up for a few days now I would phone your GP in the morning and get her seen but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. As long as she's able to keep down a little water or juice a few days without food won't do her too much harm.

Ellbell Mon 02-May-05 22:31:42

Thanks both of you!

I had it down as attention seeking the first time, because we were away for the weekend and she was excited, and she has been known to give herself a temperature of 39 degrees before just out of sheer excitement. But I think it's gone on too long now to be that. Plus, the last two time it has happened when she has been deeply asleep.

It probably is 'just a bug', but she has had plenty of those before, and has always been totally off her food and much more poorly in herself. Also, it has been three days now, and no-one else has got it, not even her sister, who shares her room and often cups and things too.

I will see what the doctor says tomorrow, but I do appreciate the moral support. Thanks!

mmmmchocolate Mon 02-May-05 22:34:15

hope she is ok. You are prob right just a bug lots about at moment. Or could it be a certain food or drink thats not agreeing with her. A new drink maybe???

JoolsToo Mon 02-May-05 22:35:14

mmmmchoccy - you princess is here!

LGJ Mon 02-May-05 22:41:29

FWIW

My DS had a bug last November that came and went, for a week..................culminated in him threatening to throw up, all the way from Gatwick to my house....60 mins .........he waited until he was in our drive then up chucked all over my shoes

Ellbell Mon 02-May-05 22:44:52

LOL LGJ! Not that unusual then! She has just worked out how to puke down the loo (hooray... see below, re. puke phobia!) but of course never makes it in time when she is fast asleep. I've never been away for a weekend before and ended up washing the bedding off one bed twice in two days!

BadgerBadger Mon 02-May-05 23:28:38

Ellbell, my DD1 tends to do this with bugs, sometimes 12 or 24, once even 36 hours between throwing up. I'm phobic about puke too, when she has a bout like this I end up on edge for a couple of weeks! This is also why by 3 years she could use a bowl, poor baby!

Ellbell Mon 02-May-05 23:33:19

Perhaps we could start a puke-o-phobes' support thread? My dh has been a star, but he's back at work tomorrow (well... so am I in theory, but I don't feel happy sending dd to school till she's stopped puking) and I feel like I have a ticking time bomb in the house, with no idea when it'll go off again!!!! I hate feelng like this when poor dd obviously feels so poorly and all I can do is hide behind the bathroom door going: 'good girl' and trying not to listen. What a crap mother! When she was a baby I used to just hold her at arm's length and aim her at an easy-to-wipe-clean surface...!

chipmonkey Tue 03-May-05 00:03:51

Ellbell, I think sometimes kids don't FEEL very bad with bugs in that they're happy to eat/drink as normal where an adult would be lying down beside the toilet. Its probably more like a 48hr bug!

Ellbell Tue 03-May-05 00:20:21

Hmmm, yeah, know what you mean chipmonkey. If I get a puke bug I'm in bed groaning melodramatically and composing my last will and testament!

Saacsmum Tue 03-May-05 08:36:46

May not be at all relevant but if she has a slight bug there may be certain triggers that result in a vomit. She may feel fine on the whole but still have a bug and when she eats certain things it is enough to trigger her to vomit. Dairy products can be prime candidates in this case, maybe worth restricting dairy until she is over it. Also try giving her probiotics to repair her gut flora so her system deals with digestion better, may help also.

singersgirl Tue 03-May-05 11:16:40

Just to reassure you we've had this too. DS1 has had a couple of things where he's been sick, seemed to recover and then 2 or 3 days later been sick again - once it was 48 hours later and we'd just walked into a shopping centre....ugh....
DS2 had something weird this week where he woke up on Thursday night, was sick once and then absolutely fine. Apparently this has been going round nursery, but no-one else in the family's got it this time either. So perhaps it's a variant of that...

Sugarmag Tue 03-May-05 11:53:34

Actually, come to think of it my friend's DS (5) was sick last week. Threw up on the Saturday night, seemed absolutely fine on Sunday & Monday then was sick again off and on all day Wednesday. And even on Wednesday acted ok as long as he didn't eat anything. Kept asking for food but everything just made him puke again.

Ellbell Tue 03-May-05 12:09:46

Hiya
Thanks again to everyone who replied. She is apparently fine again today. I did ring the doctor but they didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about, so am just hoping that she'll shake it off. Poor love, she's just upset at not being able to go to school.
Thanks again to everyone for stopping me panicking!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: