Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd has chicken pox, how long does she have to stay off school for

(14 Posts)
lucy5 Mon 02-May-05 20:27:00

DD started to show symptoms of cp yesterday and the rash has really started to spread today. How long do I keep her off school for, Sorry question mark key isn't working.

Bonkerz Mon 02-May-05 20:28:21

most schools recommend till spots are scabbed but some do say till 50% spots gone! ring school in morning to find out policy. Normally 7-10 days from outbreak which means Next thursday

lucy5 Mon 02-May-05 20:30:09

oh my god! I think im going to get fired I work for the least child friendly organisation in the world, ironically it's a school.

lucy5 Mon 02-May-05 20:31:44

Oops thanks bonkerz!

Anteater Mon 02-May-05 20:33:50

Was just going to ask this, ds got his first spots last night, TEN DAYS, you have to be joking!!

coppertop Mon 02-May-05 20:39:19

There was a poster on the wall at ds1's school listing all the various ailments and how long you should keep children off for. For chicken pox it said 5 days after the appearance of the rash. I suppose individual cases will vary though. 5 days is just the minimum.

Bonkerz Mon 02-May-05 20:39:19

its best to talk to the school cos it does depend on policy. Most will be ok as soon as scabs are formed. dont bath them and keep calamineing the spots to get them dry quicker. Unfortunately my son looked awful and remained poorly when scabbed oover so was off for 2 weeks.

Aimsmum Mon 02-May-05 20:45:46

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Mon 02-May-05 20:48:20

I thought it was when the blisters had burst and scabbed over. That needn't be 10 days away. It depends how badly your child is affected. I would ring up the school tomorrow though and ask them what they would like.

lucy5 Tue 03-May-05 21:22:52

Thanks all, I rang school and they follow a uk policy, in that she can return when the last spot has scabbed, so we'll have to wait and see.

daisy1999 Tue 03-May-05 21:44:57

try piriton if the itching is bad, we found it really helped.
I think you have to keep them off school until all spots have dried and scabbed, until then they're still infectious.

Anteater Wed 04-May-05 18:57:34

DS is completly covered in spots, over 100 on his tummy alone (gave up counting) ears, eyes, mouth, willy(!) Poor lad. Hope Lucy jnr is doing better..

Shazzler Wed 04-May-05 19:02:55

It certainly seems to be doing the rounds just now.

Lots of the children in my ds nursery have it just now. He has already had it but my dd has not.

I was a bit annoyed by a mum who kept going into the nursery with her son to tell them that he was still not going to nursery. IMO he may as well have gone if she was going to keep taking into the classroom.

I hope my dd doesn't get it. Don't think I could cope with that just now.

aloha Wed 04-May-05 19:07:44

five days. this is on the nhs direct website,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now