Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

A question about sutures / stitches!

(12 Posts)
tamula Mon 02-May-05 10:07:44

Hi I had my baby girl 4 weeks ago.

She was 8lb 2oz and I suffered 2nd degree extended tears. So I was sutured inside and out. My question is when do the stitches go away? I can still see them clearly and although they're not as painful as before I still feel some discomfort.

Another question I have sorry if its TMI but I feel pain / discomfort in the clitoral area now too Almost like it fills up with air!!I'm just praying that this is normal (ish) and I havent done myself an injustice down there!! That would be more than i could bear.

Many thanks.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 02-May-05 10:19:09

Hi Tamula

When I had stiches they were the ones that dissolve but I can't remember how long it took. I did have a bit of discomfort though for a few weeks after.

If your worried go and see your GP. Do you have a 6 week check up appointment. If so you could ask then.

tamula Mon 02-May-05 21:30:29

Thanks NBG, mines are the dissolvable type too, but god knows when they do their dissolving magic

hunkermunker Mon 02-May-05 21:31:00

Mine took AGES to dissolve but were gone for my six-week check.

SofiaAmes Tue 03-May-05 01:23:10

I had exactly the same with mine and the same feeling. I think I even got fed up and had dh cut one of the stitches that didn't disolve after 4 weeks or so. They eventually did all dissolve. And you do eventually go back to feeling normal, but it does take ages.

PrettyCandles Tue 03-May-05 07:38:38

When you have your 6-week check-up, ask the doctor to have a look just to make sure that all is healing as it should. Some doctors don't check, jsut ask 'Everything OK?' and that's the end of the check-up, but the first time around I didn't heal properly so I'm glad that the doc did check. Second time around the doc was surprised that I wanted her to check, but she did, and I was very reassured by her remarks on the state of my bits. And, TBH, at 4w I couldn't tell the difference between the time when I healed well and the time when I didn't. Don't mean to worry you, most likely you are healing well - it just feels strange to you (not surprising! ).

lilsmum Tue 03-May-05 08:09:17

mine didnt really dissolve, they came away on loo paper and in the bath, i suffered a 3rd degree tear (inside and out) and i remember the worst was the feeling of tightness from the stitches and awful itchiness when i was healing...drove me mad!

Flossam Tue 03-May-05 08:23:23

Have you been having frequent baths? When I was at home I had baths twice a day and it kept my stiches moist and more comfortable. I really noticed the difference when I was in with DS back in hospital, I felt as though they had become infected and I was really uncomfortable. Put a bit of savlon in to help make sure it stays clean. I hope you feel better soon.

edodgy Tue 03-May-05 08:48:58

Hi, i also tore very badly during labour and was stitched inside and out i cant remember how long the stitches took to dissolve but i can remember feeling uncomfortable down below until around 6-8 weeks i did find that frequent baths with tea tree oil or lavender oil helped ease the pain and tightness. hope this helps.

tamula Wed 04-May-05 17:03:02

Thanks guys, feeling alot better about the time it takes to heal, well not better but feeling at least normal

keresley Tue 10-May-05 21:23:45

Hi Tamula - I too had lots of stitching inside as well as epesiotomy (sp?) scar. It took me about 14 weeks before I was totally pain free and my 'bits' looked normal again. As for clitoral pain- I had exactly what you describe. I too thought that it had been damaged during birth. After about 12 weeks of pain I realised that the pain was actually coming from underneath my clitoras - my symphysis pubis (the part where your pelvis joins at the front). I have since been diagnosed with symphysis pubis dysfunction. This causes problems with physical movement but also hinders sexual enjoyment as stimulation causes me to be in pain for the following 4 days. I hope this helps and you feel better soon.

gallileo Tue 10-May-05 21:58:40

I suffered a third degree tear and still had internal stitches at 12 weeks, I can't remember when they went completely. I am now 6 months post natal and still feel very 'tight' down there when I am tired! But I can't believe how near to 'normal' I am now compared to just after the birth when I must admit I felt very depressed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: