Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ds1 in utter nightmare hospital drama

(19 Posts)
nosyparker Thu 28-Apr-05 13:24:35

this is morocco btw under new name - changed my name for greater anonymity just in time for utter chaos to kick off
I've at last escaped the hospital for a few precious hours to myself - first stop mumsnet so .... where to start....
the drama so far starts with suspected septicaemia and diagnosed nephrotic syndrome (kidney problem) with ds1 about 12 days ago now, he was admitted to hospital but obviously they didn't have hardly anything to treat it with such as the right blood products. Anyway, he was released from hospital after 5 days and we looked after him at home for two days when he stopped weeing completely and put on another kg in more or less a day so was readmitted where this time not only did they not have albumin but also no plasma and all doctors were on conference in different city as it was a 4 day holiday
superb timing
so after a night of anxiety, at 6am we heard the air ambulance was on its way to take us to .....Marseilles....where me and ds1 landed and ds was immediately admitted to paediatric emergency. They stabilised his condition and after 12 hours we were up on the main ward where we've been eery since, hoping to be transferred to the UK some time soon.
I cannot begin to describe what an utter utter niughtmare it has all been and what a relief it is now my dh and ds2 are here too and ds1 is on the mend. He's been so brave through it all (well not really iykwim) It's broken my heart to see him have so many injections and wires and now I'm starting to cry for almost the first time since we arrived here. The medical team are fabulous but I miss my friends and family so much and it's just blooody awful.
I'm off to have a coffee and a look round Marseilles in a bit then back to nurse duty

Aero Thu 28-Apr-05 13:29:49

Blimey np - I don't know what to say, but wanted to acknowledge your post! That is just shocking and how stressful for you all esp your ds. I hope he is soon recovered and you get home soon.

nosyparker Thu 28-Apr-05 13:33:09

god comletely forgot to mention that ds1 does not actually have septicaemia but does have nephrotic conditon which is now totally under control on steroids so emergency now over
bloody hell
don't know what else to write now

CountessDracula Thu 28-Apr-05 13:33:13

OMG what a nightmare. Where were you when he got ill? Do you live there or were you on holiday? Thank god he is stabilising.

Distel Thu 28-Apr-05 13:33:25

Oh the poor thing, really hope that he gets better soon x x x

Distel Thu 28-Apr-05 13:36:06

Oh the poor thing, really hope that he gets better soon x x x

nosyparker Thu 28-Apr-05 13:40:05

as rather crap ealier name suggested, we live in Morocco, where all the private clinics look dead swanky but I was really really shocked they couldn't find plasma in the entire CAPITAL city
its so weird being out of the hospital for a while - like it's not really happened at all
God knows why they brought us to Marseilles -thank god my French is pretty damn good or it would have been even more stressful - but it's so great to see him in a proper paediatric ward with everything he needs and really attentive staff;
I feel like I've got about 5 million things to try and deal with and come to terms with all at once and can't seem to get them in any order of importance, so I worry about who is feeding the goldfish along with what the hell we are going to do once he is in remission
oh god - kids - you really never never know what is coming next do you

maddiemo Thu 28-Apr-05 13:47:48

What a shock

Hope everything goes well for him and he is soon on the mend.

My ds was taken ill at xmas and had an emergency op. You sound very much like how I felt at the time. The shock of it all hits you after the initial crisis is over.

wilbur Thu 28-Apr-05 13:48:17

What a nightmare - poor you. Thank god they got that air ambulance and the French health system is v. good I understand so you're in the right place. Glad to hear you ds is on the mend - will they find out what was the cause of it?

noddyholder Thu 28-Apr-05 13:57:21

thank god you got the help you needed it is vital with that condition I was looking out for yuor posts!Hope he gets well soon..xx

NomDePlume Thu 28-Apr-05 14:21:17

Terrifying . I really hope you can get DS home asap.

nosyparker Sat 07-May-05 16:50:10

hurrah
ds is home at last 3 weeks after first being admitted and is now on steroids for quite a while. I'm staying at my parents looking after him and enjoying seeing ds2 again too. Lots more to post later but for now am knackered and need a rest. Thanks all for your concern and posts

Wallace Sat 07-May-05 16:54:52

Thank goodness he is home...

You must be exhausted - go and have a good blub

xxx

dinosaur Sat 07-May-05 17:49:49

What an ordeal. Sending best wishes for his complete and speedy recovery!

whymummy Sat 07-May-05 17:54:20

thank goodness nosyparker,i had no idea,glad you're back home and i hope your ds makes a full recovery .how long will you stay in england for?
ps. i liked your old name

nosyparker Sun 08-May-05 18:09:21

maybe I will change back again whymummy - I liked it too!
things are going much better now ds is at home but dh has had to go back to work so it will be months and months til we see him again. Maybe we will move back to the UK afterwards permanently as ds could relapse - no-one knowsif/how many times/etc - but I couldn't face going through all that again even if we were somewhere with more adequate hospitals. Marseilles all by myself with no family to speak to was bloody awful. If it had been Spain at least I could have mustered up some mumsnetters!! Feeling a bit sorry for myself tonight tbh.

Marina Sun 08-May-05 20:38:30

I remember being on holiday in Corsica and hearing that for anything major kidney-related (owner of house we rented donated one to her very ill daughter, successfully) they were sent off to Marseille - maybe it's a good centre for nephrology, morocco.
What a total cauchemar for you all, so sorry to hear this. If you do have to relocate out of Morocco, would southern France be an alternative? I really do rate the French health system, it's supposedly the best in the world.
Hope he stabilises very soon and never relapses again. Best wishes to you all, you must have been so scared. XXX

whymummy Mon 09-May-05 09:43:07

good luck with everything morocco
let us know how things are. x

morocco Tue 10-May-05 17:14:35

thanks guys
things are looking up today - I've been out and done a bit of shopping so now we have a few essentials and I have a few pairs of knickers!!! Yes, the hospital in France and the French system are excellent and I would always rate their healthcare really highly too. The hospital was spotlessly clean and everything was hyper efficient and fast. I can now compare health systems in 3 countries! It was still great to come back to the UK though and it made a real difference to ds as his French had only really reached 'la vache meugle' (or whatever it is they do). He was much more relaxed in the Uk because he could understand all the nurses and their jokes as they distracted him for the bloods etc. By the end of 3 weeks he was covered in bruises from all the drips and blood tests poor little mite.
Anyhow, must stop dwelling on it all and feeling sorry for myself. We have an appointment with the consultant tomorrow and so far so good, no signs of relapse. I have been really paranoid since having him home about any signs of swelling but the only chance of any weight gain this week is from eating too many cakes. My mum is spoiling him rotten. Me too.
It is bloody cold back in blighty!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now