Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS hasnt pooped in 7 days. What is a good remedy?

(16 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Thu 28-Apr-05 13:12:21

First DS had gastro enteritis few weeks back. You couldnt turn the poop off. This week he was loaded with fever. Fever is over but he hasnt had a bm in 7 days. dont like prescription stuff and tried sugar water, but to no avail. Any ideas for me?
thanks

kid Thu 28-Apr-05 13:14:20

How old is he?

astonished Thu 28-Apr-05 13:14:59

If he is old enough, I have always found diabetic chocolate helps as it contains lactose, was great for me after giving birth, although I ate two big bars and spent hours on the loo!

mamadadawahwah Thu 28-Apr-05 13:17:05

Sorry he is 26 mnoths

muminlondon Thu 28-Apr-05 13:58:48

the gentle approach: freshly squeezed orange juice, weetabix, banana, raisins, pineapple, juicy pears, peas, sweetcorn, all on the same day.

if that doesn't work get some prune juice and keep spooning it into him (a medicine spoon worked with my dd) over the course of a couple of days. That was almost too effective for dd when she hadn't done a poo for 4 days.

muminlondon Thu 28-Apr-05 13:59:55

Oh and have you been dosing him up with calpol? that certainly bungs you up. Should ease off when you stop.

beansmum Thu 28-Apr-05 14:03:16

lots and lots of dried fruit, when ds is constipated I put dried prunes and apricots in his porridge and give him raisins to munch on.

juniperdewdrop Thu 28-Apr-05 14:06:11

spirulina's good after a bug but you'd need to check with the health food shop if it's ok for his age?

pepsi Thu 28-Apr-05 14:10:40

Dont want to be crude, but is there a poo waiting to come out, can you see it? My ds struggled terribly to do poos at this age. He did one huge one which hurt and then he didnt want to do it again so held it in. It used to really hurt and he would get very distressed. We tried all of the above mentioned foods, apple juice is good too. I find with my daughter lots of haribo sweets is quite effective but thats probably not the best approach as she eats them purely because of greediness and not because theres a need to poo but I do find that afterwards her poos arent so hard. If there is a poo there...and you can usually smell it what about as suppository as a last resort. We found with our ds that sometimes it was the only way and he was far happier once it was all over.

Easy Thu 28-Apr-05 14:18:32

Is he actually uncomfortable? I guess so after 7 days, but if not (i.e. if he hasn't been eating solids over his illness) then don't worry too much.

Otherwise, I'd suggest syrup of figs, but only a few drops given his age. Try some one evening, if no result by morning, then try another small dose, keep going until you get a result.

Bless, hope complete recovery comes soon.

mamadadawahwah Thu 28-Apr-05 18:10:38

Great ideas, thank you all. Am trying some of them today!

highlander Thu 28-Apr-05 18:15:21

double his fluid intake and reduce his iron intake (bananas, cereal). Cut out apples as well.
Serve up pureed prunes with a favourite fruit puree with breakfast.

Try not to start to depend on the fibrogel, lactulose, suppositories etc without addressing the root cause of constipation (usually insufficient fluids).

onlineid Thu 28-Apr-05 18:22:20

Message withdrawn

swedishmum Thu 28-Apr-05 20:25:05

v watered down prune juice always worked for dd2 - was what the doc recommended as well. She used to call it poo juice...A bit more palatable when mixed with another flavour apparently.

swedishmum Thu 28-Apr-05 20:25:43

dd2 obviously, not the doc

Mojomummy Fri 29-Apr-05 20:44:14

Hi, does he like strawberries ? they're watery & sweeet, so usually get things moving. I would definetely leave the bananas well alone - thye bung my daughter up for days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now