Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ear problem???

(11 Posts)
nailpolish Wed 27-Apr-05 20:28:22

dd1 has recently become upset when she hears a loud noise ie

if i even open cupboard door where hoover is
wouldnt leave the house cos man next door was cutting his grass
big lorry goes by when walking along road
loud radio/telly esp in the car

she cries (tears!) and covers her ears

maybe she has a sore ear? i dont want to ask her incase she gets the idea in her head.

should i maybe ask the hv or gp?

thanks v much IA

MarsLady Wed 27-Apr-05 20:33:04

how old is she? I think that you should get her ears checked out by the GP. She may have an ear infection.

nailpolish Wed 27-Apr-05 20:33:37

shes 2 and a half ML.

MarsLady Wed 27-Apr-05 20:38:16

I think she may have an ear infection, but only because my friend's dd is the ear infection queen. Because it is sore she may be more sensitive to noise.

Bump this up though so that one of the HVs can give their opinion. Mine is not medically based, simply mummy based.

Wishing her better

nutcracker Wed 27-Apr-05 20:39:24

I would get it checked out although it may just be a phase.

Dd1 went through this at around the same age. It was started by her being scared stiff when a fire engine went past us, with all sirens and horns on etc and then unfortunatly a few days later whilst waiting for a train, one rushed throiugh the station and sounded the horn, poor dd was shaking from head to foot and after that she was very frightened of any loud noise. Lorries going past the house would make her cry, we had to change our vacuum for a quieter one and if she heard a siren anywhere, even in the distance she got very distressed.

She is 7 now and alot better but will still cling to the buggy when we are out if she hears a siren, a road sweeper or a dustcart.

nutcracker Wed 27-Apr-05 20:41:17

I even had to warn her playgroup when she started that if dd heard a siren she would become hysterical. I think they thought i was over reacting until it actually happened and they rung me to collect her cos they couldn't calm her down.

nailpolish Wed 27-Apr-05 20:43:11

thanks

she is terrified of traffic, really scared. its maybe a phase as you say, but ill make an appt

thanks again

nailpolish Wed 27-Apr-05 20:43:41

oh no nutcracker, thats such a shame!

MarsLady Wed 27-Apr-05 20:48:53

now that nutty has posted I do remember friend's daughter also be absolutely terrified of aeroplanes, helicopters, the wind, lorries etc.

So I have revised my opinion and am going with nutty on this one. Friend's dd turned 3 in October and is better than she was, but still doesn't like loud noises. I'm hoping that for your dd this is simply a phase.

kcemum Wed 27-Apr-05 20:51:39

Ooh Nailpolish, this sounds so familiar.DD3 had excactly the same problems which all started after some low flying fighter jet thingies flew above us last year. We thought that she would get over it but she never has, unfortunatly for her she has just had grommetts fitted because she has been quite deaf due to glue ear- not caused by ear infections- so every time she encounters a loud noise we now have a total meltdown!

My advise would be to get her seen by your GP just to be on the safeside. It may just be a phase and she may grow out of it.

nailpolish Thu 28-Apr-05 08:33:36

thanks again everyone. i asked her last night if her ears were sore, she said 'dont like cars mummy too scary'. we also live next to a busy train station, sometimes they go thundering past. im going to speak to hv first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now