Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Embarrasing bowel problem

(15 Posts)
mcmum Wed 27-Apr-05 17:22:41

Please help I have very embarrassing problem that when I go to loo I get severe abdominal cramps but this goes when I have finished. I thought it was only when I was having a period but I have noticed that it happens all the time but is worse when Im having a period. I am not constipated and have no problems going except the pain is exactly same as childbirth contraction ! If anyone has had similar I would appreciate any advice, I am frightened but have just left messsage for GP This has been happening for months but is gradually getting worse as we thought it was related to period my gp fitted the mirena coil in january but I have had no improvement.

TrophyWife Wed 27-Apr-05 17:28:12

no advice, but can tell you that since i have had ds ( 2 yrs ago last dec), i get the same, its not every time just about once a week, some times less. please can you let me know what the doc says, if it not too embarrassing.
thanks

spykid Wed 27-Apr-05 17:31:57

mcmum, I have always had bad period cramps when pooing during my period. so painful in fact i tend not to poo at all during the worst few days. i have just learnt to live with it
hth

JoolsToo Wed 27-Apr-05 17:32:18

sounds like IBS

bundle Wed 27-Apr-05 17:35:26

jt, i was just about to say that too. i used to take anti-spasm drugs when i was a teenager for ibs (also anti-nausea medication) but when i went to university i found a v understanding gp who talked me through the whole mind/body thing, how your gut can respond to physical triggers (foods, hormones) and mental ones (stress, anxiety) and he advised me to take up exercising (did running but also some mind exercise different from the norm - i did a life drawing class) and after a month i was off all the drugs and much healthier. hardly ever have problems now...

mcmum Wed 27-Apr-05 17:45:21

spykid, how bad are your pains ? mine are exactly same as contraction makes me hold my breath and puts me off going to loo. Im going on 9 hour flight on day my period due and im panicing about it.

mcmum Wed 27-Apr-05 17:48:36

bundle, I thought ibs made you feel bloated and unwell ? apart from teh pain I have no other symptoms.

bundle Wed 27-Apr-05 17:50:41

mcmum, from what i can remember there's a whole range of symptoms, some people are constipated, others have diarrhoea - you don't need all of them to have ibs, doctors tend to rule out other conditions before diagnosing it (so for some it's a "diagnosis of exclusion"). i had nausea, stitch-like pains when i ate the "wrong" foods or fretted too much and intermittent diarrhoea.

mcmum Wed 27-Apr-05 17:54:00

bundle, thanks for swift reply, im just hoping for an explanation as usual i have convinced myself its something terrible unfortunately I never look on bright side! I will let you know what gp says no reply as yet

bundle Wed 27-Apr-05 17:54:04

ibs stuff on nhs direct

bundle Wed 27-Apr-05 17:54:52

mcmum, it's unlikely to be anything serious but do see what your gp thinks, x

Rkayne Thu 28-Apr-05 06:51:18

I had something similar after dd1 was born. The GP gave me a prescription to help with spasms in the bowel. I took it for a few months then stopped and things pretty much went back to normal.

mcmum Sun 01-May-05 19:41:07

rkayne,

can you remember what gp gave you as my gp said my uterus us very close to my bowel and i am having spasms too but she recommended ibrufen but im asthmatic and couldnt have it

WigWamBam Sun 01-May-05 19:45:11

My sister has similar spasms in her gut and bowel, and takes Buscopan . You can buy it over the counter.

mcmum Sun 01-May-05 22:54:19

wigwambam, thanks for that anythings `worth a try im desperate and going on long flight on day next period due !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now