Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

*extra teeth!!*

(8 Posts)
choccychic Wed 27-Apr-05 07:42:54

Have just checked out my 7 yr olds mouth because he was complaining that his gum was sore. He seems to have another toothlike protrusion below his row of new teeth. It has been there for a few weeks he says but has only just started to rub his gum so he's only just told me. Anyone seen similar? I'm going to ring dentist but don't hold out much hope of any rapid response!!

TrophyWife Wed 27-Apr-05 08:18:40

as a child i had 2 extra eye teeth that grew on top off my gums, as my mum wouldnt let me have them taken out, i got them done when i was 19. i was told that this is quite common and that there is no reason why a person cant live with them. i had them out as i didnt like smiling with them still there. i would take him to the dentist and see what he/she says. HTH

Berries Wed 27-Apr-05 11:30:55

Is it a slightly hard, white bump? DD1 had this a few years ago between new tooth and old tooth. Turned out to be an abscess - they don't always hurt kids that much apparently. Best get it seen by the dentist - we left it for 2 weeks as thought it was a new tooth coming through

Sponge Wed 27-Apr-05 12:01:28

My brother had extra teeth which grew behind the "normal" ones. He had about 4 taken out I think as they didn't want his mouth crowded. Could also be an abcess though. Either way I'd get him to the dentist and get it checked out.

kolakube Wed 27-Apr-05 12:43:04

Without looking, my guess is you are seeing an adult tooth that is crowded in the mouth and is erupting wherever it has space to. Is this at the front of the mouth?

choccychic Wed 27-Apr-05 14:04:16

The "tooth" or whatever is below the gum line between two new teeth certainly looks/feels like a tooth, but I have made an appointment for Friday to have it checked out. If he comes home from school toady in more pain though I will have to try to bring appt forward because it has definitely rubbed his inside lip and made it sore. Any suggestions to put on sore bit? Anbesol is all I can think of . Thanks for replies!

choccychic Wed 27-Apr-05 14:06:29

Yes, it is at the front Kolakube, but he has all the new front teeth I was expecting so if it is a tooth I think it must be a spare!! which by the sound of others comments is not unheard of.

TrophyWife Wed 27-Apr-05 15:07:25

calpo do their own gum nummer and i found that for my ds (and me when ive had tooth ach ) that it works better then all the rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now