Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gestational Diabetes- 2nd pregnancy treatment??

(17 Posts)
jane313 Tue 26-Apr-05 20:24:06

I wondered if anyone had this through a second pregnancy? Mine got diagnosed at the glucose tolerance test at about 25 weeks and after a week of monitiring sugar levels I was put on insulin 3-4 times a day which rose until I had the baby. Even though I put on no weight in the last 2 months and ate pretty healthily my sugar levels were out of control. I expect to get it if I have another baby and wanted to know how they treat it from day one? I had to go to the hosipital every weeks and see a midwife constultant and sometimes a dietician.

jane313 Tue 26-Apr-05 20:30:38

oh and while I'm at it what about driving? I didn't drive last time so did't bother informing the DVLA or my insurance.

jane313 Tue 26-Apr-05 21:50:05

aah well time to google

northstar Tue 26-Apr-05 22:09:08

Hi Jane, there's usually a few diabetes people around in the daytime. I'm 37+5 on my second pg and was pre-diagnosed (so to speak) with gd. Procedure pretty similar with 2nd pg, using the finger-prick tester from day one and the usual gtt at regular intervals. I think I had 4 gtt's this time I hate them, especially hanging round the hospital all morning with a toddler and fasting when pg is really hard!
I watched my diet carefully and avoided insulin, now waiting to be induced at 39wks to avoid any last minute problems with baby getting too big. Dont let gd put you off another pg, it's the other child that's the biggest difference with the first and second pg's. Wouldn't change a thing though! Good luck x

jane313 Tue 26-Apr-05 22:19:59

thanks. Yes doing anything with a toddler makes life more complicated. Gosh thats a lot of GTTs ! I had 2 last time which was bad enough. I took park in some research into gd after which was very interesting and lost a bit of weight but not much more since so feel crap about getting disaproving looks if I go back to the same hospital. Also last time I tried really hard and even when I was eating very healthy food and putting on no weight my sugar level kept rising. Doing the prick tests felt like failing something 4 times a day.

Do you drive?

northstar Wed 27-Apr-05 11:02:38

Yep, I live in the country, couldnt survive without the car. Why would that be a problem with diabetes? Sorry for being thick

jane313 Wed 27-Apr-05 11:13:37

Well I was told that you had to inform the DVLA and your insurance company. I didn't because I wasn't driving then. I think its because of hypos; but I never had them. I presume they are less likely in gd than type 1 diabetes.

hoxtonchick Wed 27-Apr-05 11:20:58

any time you take insulin you have to inform DVLA, it is to do with the risk of hypos. i only have a 3 year licence which is a big PITA. i have pre-existing diabetes & am 29 weeks into my second pregnancy.

it's not exactly healthy eating or not which will affect your blood sugar, more to do with the amount of carbohydrate you eat. so you could have a very low fat diet, but if you eat lots of bread/potatoes/rice/fruit you'll have high blood sugar. all diabetes is hard to control in pregnancy, the placenta pumps out lots of hormones which oppose the action of insulin. therefore you have to keep increasing your dose. i've had diabetes for over 10 years now & i still find pregnancy very hard work.

ummm, not sure i've exactly helped....

northstar Wed 27-Apr-05 11:27:04

Hi hoxtonchick, glad to hear all's ok with your pg and totally agree with the carbohydrate problem, that was messing with my sugars way more than chocolate or ice-cream. I just escaped the insulin for this pg, and now being induced tues or wed waaaahey! Consultant said this baby not too big YET.

hoxtonchick Wed 27-Apr-05 11:28:48

good luck northstar. i've got an antenatal appointment + scan this afternoon - i'm so jealous that you're being induced soon. 10 weeks feels like a loooooooooong time at the moment. my baby's right on the 50th centile so far, fingers crossed she stays there (ps i'm a chocolate fiend too - shhhh).

northstar Wed 27-Apr-05 11:37:34

Had my consultant appointment on monday and we were actually negotiating across the desk LOL! He said would I consider coming in next thursday and i said "no, that sounds too late, how about monday?" and he said "no it's a bank holiday" so we settled for tuesday. Felt like shaking his hand to seal the deal iykwim
I do feel for you, the last 10wks just get worse and worse.... especially if you're on a DIET! Will be ok for me hopefully the gd will disappear and i can get back to normal for a few years.
Good luck for your appointment this afternoon x

jane313 Wed 27-Apr-05 11:37:58

yes I thought carbs would be bad for diabetes but the nutritionists were really into me having 60% of my diet through carbs! I had previously been on the atkins diet so was quite good at recognising and counting carbs

hoxtonchick Wed 27-Apr-05 11:42:23

it's not that carbs are bad as such, it's just you have to recognise that eating more of them will either mean more insulin or high blood sugars. did you adjust your own insulin last time? i get the impression that lots of people with 'normal' diabetes, let alone GD don't do that, & i think it makes such a difference. and you definitely feel more in control (& can basically eat what you want & adjust your insulin dose accordingly).

thanks for letting me know how much i have to look forward to the next 2.5 months northstar . my consultant told me right at the beginning that they'd induce at either 37 or 39 weeks, depending on my control. ds was born at 39 weeks & weighed 7lbs10, so i know i can do it. don't think my control has been quite as tight this time, but nothing too terrible. once i've delivered i go back onto my normal tablets rather than injections - can't WAIT (oh yeah, quite looking forward to having a baby too of course!).

jane313 Wed 27-Apr-05 11:49:06

No they adjusted it, I had to go to the hospital every week. Maybe if I get in early they will give me more control. Although I had a stonking 10lb 9oz baby I don't know if I could handle a normal delicate one!!

Do they induce every gd/d mother (sorry with all the questions, its nice to have experts!) as i had a cs last time and isn't it true you can't be induced after one?

northstar Wed 27-Apr-05 11:49:57

I'm in denial at the moment. Have nowhere for baby to sleep yet!

hoxtonchick Wed 27-Apr-05 13:22:52

get shopping!

'they' don't like you to go to full term with any kind of diabetes jane313. and i think you're unlikely to be induced after a previous section, so you'll probably have another one. i am torn, as had quite a prolonged induction/labour/ventouse/forceps last time, and even though everyone assures me that second inductions are easier, the thought of an elective section is quite appealing. may talk to my (fab) consultant about it today.

jane313 Wed 27-Apr-05 18:14:32

thanks for all the info, good luck next week northstar. yes my electivs cs was very smooth and the idea of going for what you know sort of appeals to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now