Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

best remedies for a blocked sinus

(14 Posts)
Fio2 Tue 26-Apr-05 16:10:06

its only the one side of my face that is really aching, argh

have been having sudafed but doesnt seem to be helping. Anything else I can try? Want to try to avoid anti-biotics as they knock me about

hub2dee Tue 26-Apr-05 16:16:50

Was at ENT consultant the other day. Asked about latest and greates to clear noses, deal with hayfever, so I don't know if it's relevant to your situation, but you might want to ask pharmacist about flixonase

bundle Tue 26-Apr-05 16:18:05

do heat/cold help at all?

suzywong Tue 26-Apr-05 16:18:10

take a hot shower
then make a piece of toast, meanwhile chop up 2, yes 2, cloves of garlic, mix with buitter and spread on toast and eat

does the trick good and proper

iota Tue 26-Apr-05 16:41:49

Fio - IME the only thing to shift a bad sinus infection is antibiotics - sorry.

Fio2 Tue 26-Apr-05 16:47:16

oh no that will mean getting off my bum and visitng drs, argh

Fio2 Tue 26-Apr-05 16:47:32

how bad is too bad

spacedonkey Tue 26-Apr-05 16:47:45

suzy's garlic remedy really works

iota Tue 26-Apr-05 16:49:53

so bad that you just want to cry when you move your head and all the vick, sudafed, karvol, flu pills and steam treatments etc don't work

Fio2 Tue 26-Apr-05 16:51:29

its not that bad iota but my teeth are hurting, all on one side. Will try the garlic trick, my h wont be impressed

iota Tue 26-Apr-05 16:53:44

I've only had it that bad once, but the doc was writing out the prescription bfore I'd finished speaking - she'd had it too

Fio2 Tue 26-Apr-05 16:56:19

it is really painful. i ahd it bad once, this isnt as bad so i thought i could avoid dr

feelingold Tue 26-Apr-05 18:00:55

Fio2- I suffer badly with sinus infections where all of my teeth on the right had side hurt so bad I can't sleep or bear any cold on them.
As soon as I feel the very first signs of pain I get out my facial sauna which has an attatchment on it that fits over just your nose and mouth and i put into the water a couple of drops of olbas oil and breathe it in as deeply as possible and as soon as you feel rattling in you nose blow it and keep going for as long as you can and repeat every couple of hours. I find that now about 8 times out of 10 i manage to clear it up before it gets bad enough to need antibiotics but you do have to catch it early.
I know how painful this is as sometimes it can hurt under your eye as well. Hope you soon feel better.

mamadadawahwah Wed 27-Apr-05 00:14:09

Have you tried tiger balm? Helps me, in fact i cant get through a head cold without it when my sinuses flare up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now