Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Spot on ds' willy

(20 Posts)
99redballoons Mon 25-Apr-05 09:46:56

Ds has had a spot on his willy near the top, but not on the edge of the skin, for about five days now. At first it was quite dry looking and I put it down to a very wet morning nappy last week. I have since put antiseptic cream on it, which didn't do alot and kept it moist so didn't really heal. I then [reluctantly] put some metanium on it as it looked like the spots that come with nappy rash and this really dried it up but didn't get rid of it completely. I then moved from my cloth nappies to disposables for a couple of days to see if that helped, but nothing really changed. This morning it appeared to have 'popped' and is now an open sore looking spot, quite red.

I have rung the docs but the earliest appt is next week! So I thought I'd see if anyone had any other suggestions. He's been getting daily baths and we are very concsious about keeping the skin and glans clean. He's dried thoroughly after each nappy change. I'm going to go for a nappy-free day tomorrow (he's at his nanna's today) to see if that helps. Also, making sure he's drinking alot more since that 'concentrated' nappy. Any other ideas?

TIA

StuartC Mon 25-Apr-05 11:20:09

You may find an answer on this site.
Ignore the adverts at the top and go to "Men's and boy's problems".

There is a similar site which could be useful for anyone with a daughter here - choose "Frames" or "No Frames" then go to "Health".

Warning - these sites have explicit photos - don't visit if you are likely to be offended.

I don't think there is likely to be a concern - spots & pimples on the penis are not unusual during the growing years.
When I was younger a standard insult to someone was "You're as much use as a pimple on my pr*ck".

coldtea Mon 25-Apr-05 11:24:16

Does it look like a water bubble? Like you could pop it? (not suggesting you do!)My ds had Molluscom when he was young-not sure if this is the right spelling. They took 18months to clear & i've just noticed my dd has a few around her bottom. These are very common in children.

99redballoons Mon 25-Apr-05 11:38:07

Thanks for the replies. Will check out the site, stuartc.

Not really like a bubble, but quite large, say 3-4mm diameter. I will look Molluscom up though and see what it says.

Any ideas on healing it? Do you think a good airing is the only way to dry it up?

99redballoons Mon 25-Apr-05 11:39:35

He is only 22mo btw.

coldtea Mon 25-Apr-05 12:14:25

If it's mulloscum it will clear by itself it could disappear within a few weeks or could take a year. Ds was 3 when i noticed his, dd is 21 months. It isn't anything to worry about. Let us know when you've had a search.

99redballoons Mon 25-Apr-05 17:18:21

Hi, haven't been able to find much. Stuart's website didn't have any entry for ds' 'spot'. Is this the molluscum you were talking about, coldtea?

I will do another search later to see if I can find any pics. Thanks again for the help.

coldtea Mon 25-Apr-05 17:46:13

Yes, i believe it is but have never heard it described like that! at how it says it can be transmitted! When i took ds to the doctor, i spoke to the hv 1st & without even seeing it she thought it was molluscum as it's so common in children.

We went back to the doctors about 5 times during the time ds had the spots & despite the fact he had it quite bad our gp(also a paedatrition(sp?)) said they wouldn't treat it as the treatment is so painful it is only treated in severe cases & since the spots are often not painful it is better to let nature take its course.

I'll be interested to know how you get on at the doctors. Also it might be worth having another search at molluscum as the one you've linked is so different to all the information i read on it 2 years ago. Hth

99redballoons Mon 25-Apr-05 18:07:34

yes! I thought it sounded a bit ott, but it was all I could find quickly. I will do another search and include 'children' this time! will let you know.

Twiglett Mon 25-Apr-05 18:21:32

can you keep his nappy off so that it has a chance to dry out

it doesn't sound like molloscum to be honest (they look like blisters or flesh coloured bumps) and it is also a strange place for molloscum to appear as they tend to be torso first (that link you found is a sexual health site btw ) here's one

might it possibly be chicken pox - did it blister before it popped?, some children only get one (or none) I believe

it could possibly be just a regular spot also

coldtea Mon 25-Apr-05 18:22:25

I just copied this for you.

What is molluscum contagiosum?

Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection of the skin. It appears as small, pearl-shaped spots which are pink in colour. It may occur at any age but is typically found in children. It is not a serious disease and usually clears up within a few months. It can, however, last for up to two years.

How do you contract molluscum contagiosum?

It is an infection caused by a virus called poxvirus. The infection can result from direct contact, including sexual contact, or by indirect contact, such as sharing towels, or from swimming pools.

coldtea Mon 25-Apr-05 18:24:57

Twiglett, that's a much better site than the one i found!

99redballoons Mon 25-Apr-05 21:23:35

Thx twiglett, the few sites I did find in the beginning were all commenting on std's which is why I wasn't sure if I was looking at the right thing!

It is not firm and only slightly raised. I'm really hoping it's just a normal spot (and there is only one of them) caused by that terrible nappy he had. Had him in disposables again today (at his nanna's) and cos they hang quite low between the legs after a few wee's I think it's helped air his 'bits' more than the cloth was and it's looking a bit better. Definitely having a nappy-free day tomorrow. We'll see how we go. Also bought a witchhazel gel today and put a dab on. He didn't make a fuss so hoping that will be better than the antiseptic cream I've been using.

If we make it to the docs before it clears (the first appt I could get was next week!) I will let you know what they say.

Thanks again

99redballoons Tue 03-May-05 16:42:41

Just to let you know, coldtea, that we ended up seeing two gp's... my local said he didn't think it was molluscum and prescribed amoxycillin and a anti-fungal cream.. the next day we went to Bournemouth for the weekend and I forgot (!!!) ds' antibiotics! We had a 'temporary resident' appt with a gp down there and he said he did think it was molluscum and prescribed amoxycillin again for if the inflamation got worse and an antibiotic cream... The inflamation did get worse a few days later so started the antibiotics. The creams haven't made much difference. I'm hoping the antibiotics will get rid of the inflamation.

To top it all off ds has cold a terrible cold and is having a small op next monday... just hope everything clears up by then!!

coldtea Thu 05-May-05 11:26:39

Thanks for the update. I've just seen your message, i was going to post & ask how you got on! Ds got an infection on top of his molluscum spots following chicken pox. It did look quite gruesome but cleared really quickly. Remember they the spots don't last forever. I know it's not nice but ds' were quite bad & i didn't think we would ever get rid of them but they've cleared without a single mark

99redballoons Thu 05-May-05 15:19:29

thanks coldtea! that's very reassuring.
Had him back in nappies over the weekend as we went away, plus the last two days. It's all of a sudden gotten worse so he's been in nothing all day today and the air seems to be helping. (Potty training is going really well which is the only plus side!!)

I'm really worried, not only cos it's not healing and he's halfway through the antibiotics, but also cos he's got his tongue-tie op on monday, and even though it's quick he has to be in the hosp most of the day and I don't fancy that with him having an 'open wound'. Any bugs may get in. About to ring the tt consultant to see what he suggests...

coldtea Thu 05-May-05 16:34:40

You have so much going on, i really sympathise. Well done with the potty training though! He sounds like he's doing great. You must be really proud of him

Molluscum really isn't anything to worry about your doctor probably told you that-i hope my post didn't suggest i thought your ds was going to get chicken poxi was explaining how my ds' got infected!

What did the consultant say? Good luck for monday , i'm sure it will all be fine. X

99redballoons Thu 05-May-05 19:13:16

Hi coldtea, really appreciate your posts. Understood re chickenpox. Consultant said it's best to postpone cos of the cold more than anything. Apparently the nasal drip could go down into his chest when the tubes are put in for the GA. So it's now a week on Monday. That gives me a bit more time to sort out this spot. I do think it is an infected molluscum. There is also one on his scrotum, but that's contained and I'm being really careful when wiping down there so it doesn't spread. It's amazing what a bit of fresh air can do for the botty. It looks sooooo much better, dry and sealed. Actually managed to get a pair of pants on ds today (previously he'd just pee a few mins after they were on) and we only had one first accident and since then he'd told me when he wants to do a wee! I am so proud of him Still hasn't done a poo in there yet, saved that for his nap nappy, but hey, I'm amazed a 22 months old boy has control of himself!

Hope everything is ok in your household. Have a good evening (I'm catching up on desp hw!). x

coldtea Thu 05-May-05 19:53:31

Hope your ds' cold clears up . I hope it's put your mind at rest allowing him an extra week.

I set sky to record desp housewives on e4 last night & it failed. Will have to wait till next week now!!

99redballoons Thu 05-May-05 20:02:53

indeed! that's what happened to me last week, lol ! double bill for me tonight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now