Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

fish bone

(17 Posts)
pleaserewind Sun 24-Apr-05 19:24:53

9yr old ds was eating fish today when he started to panick saying he had a bone in his throat. I gave him some bread to eat which seemed to do the trick but now says that he keeps coughing and it hurts as though the bone is there. Is he just imagining it or could that be the case if so what do i do? Help!

nutcracker Sun 24-Apr-05 19:26:37

Hmm dunno, they can get quite stuck can't they. Seem to remember stories of people having them stuck there for a while and not knowing.

Perhaps ring NHS direct and see what they say.

pleaserewind Sun 24-Apr-05 19:28:22

could it do any harm??

donnie Sun 24-Apr-05 19:31:21

don't want to worry you but it does sound like the bone could still be there. Mostly they are harmless and get dislodged eventually but you may want to get it checked out.Gargling might help or get him to stick his fingers down his throat. I say this because I got one stuck in my throat a while back and I managed to dislodge it with a finger puched quite far down my throat - although I also vomited so do it in the bathroom. Failing that a trip to A & E? HTH

PuffTheMagicDragon Sun 24-Apr-05 19:34:06

Sitting in A&E is boring, but usually quicker if it's a child that needs to be seen. If it were me, I'd go down there so they can have a look - put your mind at rest. Take something to read just in case!

pleaserewind Sun 24-Apr-05 20:03:25

he reckons it feels o.k now so would you say it's o.k to leave it? u don't think it could do any harm in the night, he's just off to bed

pleaserewind Sun 24-Apr-05 21:07:47

bump

pleaserewind Sun 24-Apr-05 21:35:50

anyone?

Frizbe Sun 24-Apr-05 21:42:28

Personally I'd drag him to A&E I'd rather be on the safe side if it were me.....

pleaserewind Mon 25-Apr-05 09:51:33

thanx evryone. Just in case it happens to anyone else, rang nhs direct, they said that if i'd have rung when it first happened they would have told us to go to A & E because the danger is of it piercing the oesophagus. But as he was asleep in bed i had to check on him evry few hours for breathing difficulties or chest pain.

He seems fine this morning but i have phoned my doctors to double check and they say as long as it isn't stuck and feels like it's gone down then to leave it.
absolutely knackered now!

pleaserewind Mon 25-Apr-05 18:34:57

He's now got a bit of a cough and a headache
should i just treat it as a cold starting or something? It wouldn't be related would it??

Flossam Mon 25-Apr-05 18:39:32

The feeling that the bone was still there might have been where it scraped on the way down. The cough would only be related if you think he may have choked on it - but you would have noticed that. Headache, there is no way I could link the two in my mind, so overall think he's just heading for a bug.

SoupDragon Mon 25-Apr-05 18:51:54

I@ve had a fishbone stuck and it felt like it was still there even after A&E had removed it (was stikong in a tonsil!!) It could easily have scratched his throat whoich is what he can feel rather than the bone.

Flossam Mon 25-Apr-05 18:52:39

glad we agree sd!!

SoupDragon Mon 25-Apr-05 18:54:52

I'm still paranoid about eating fish and it was over 12 years ago! I can still feel it <<shudder>>

Flossam Mon 25-Apr-05 19:00:40

ouch!

SoupDragon Mon 25-Apr-05 19:03:05

Sorry, I can still feel it very clearly in my imagination IYSWIM. Not actually in my throat...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now