Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

10 mth old with Strep A - would you give the Anti-B's?

(10 Posts)
Gomez Sun 24-Apr-05 18:30:31

Looking for opinions or experiences. DD2 10mth has been poorly for about 5 days, Friday night v. high temp (41.4 on admission) and pretty out of. Took to A & E advised tonsilitas and kept in until Saturday afternoon until temp. was behaving.

Got phone call today to say swabs have come back with Strep A - took her back, she was checked over and we have been given Anti-biotics. Temp is down, she is alert and interacting, still tired but nice and grumpy too! I don't see the need to give the Anti-Bs really as she appears to be over the worst and on the mend.

What does the grat MN Oracle think?

Gomez Sun 24-Apr-05 19:53:50

Nobody? Anybody???

I did mean the great MN Oracle, honest.

hoxtonchick Sun 24-Apr-05 19:57:43

i'd give the antibiotics i think. not quite sure i could give you a reason, and i'm not a great fan of them but i think the really high temperature would convince me. i've just had to take 2 courses for an ear infection and they did make all the difference. have now got thrush though, grrrrrrrrrr, so try & stuff her full of pro-biotics too.

zebraX Sun 24-Apr-05 20:32:28

I wouldn't give antiBs because she is obviously getting over it herself, but I would monitor closely & be willing to change my mind, otherwise.

slim22 Sun 24-Apr-05 20:47:02

I noticed that in the UK, however serious your condition seems to be, they usually send you home with paracetamol and advise you to sleep it out, so If doctor prescribed antibiotics, there is a reason. give them.
Give your baby a few spoonfulls of live yougurt with the tablets as it will help prevent tummy upsets.
How she will be better very soon. Take care.

WideWebWitch Sun 24-Apr-05 20:48:57

I'd give them tbh. I don't give them to my children lightly but actually, I don't think they're prescribed that lightly these days. Safer to give them than not to I think.

Chandra Sun 24-Apr-05 20:52:47

I agree with Slim, they only give antiboitics as the last resort. So I would.

there was thread long time ago about somebody here who decided not to give antiB to her child because she considered it was not really needed, it turned up couple of days later as a life threatening condition, the child was rushed to hospital and had an emergency operation. Though I admit that strept infections are not likely to end up in the operation table I won't risk it at all, specially here where antibiotics are very rarely prescribed.

suedonim Sun 24-Apr-05 22:07:27

I'd give the a/b's to her. I had Strep A a year ago and if it is untreated it can cause problems in the kidneys and heart. Also she might be a carrier and infect others, including yourself! I think this situation is different to when there's a query over whether it's virus/bacterial infection, as you have a definite diagnosis.

expatkat Sun 24-Apr-05 23:24:21

If she has an actual diagnosis of strept A, then you need to give them, deffo (IMO). Ds wound up in hospital with septicemia after a simple strept infection (of the throat) went mad in his blood stream. You also have to worry about rheumatic fever. NOT worth it. I agree it's tempting to skip them if she's getting over the infection herself, but if it were me, there'd be no question: I'd give them.

Gomez Mon 25-Apr-05 10:48:24

Thanks for the advise last night. DH ruled out any procastinating (sp?) and got stuck in with the ABs. Cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now